Small Steel Pony Options Available Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erikenger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got my solo certification in March using a 27 cubic foot aluminum pony tank and I’m now looking to buy a Pony bottle.

I'm in the early stages but my feeling at the moment is that I'd like to get steel pony bottle in the 19-27 cubic foot range. After an admittedly quick look at the market I'm not inclined to buy a Faber or ASHI. Near as I can tell neither PST, Worthington or Norris - all of which are brands I would buy - make smaller ponies at this time.

I was hoping I could get some feedback on where this leaves me. Can I still find tank from one of these manufacturers out there? Are there other alternatives?

Thanks in advance

Why are you not interested in a Faber? Tons of divers on this board use Faber's all the time, and are quite pleased with them.

I occasionally use an FX23 Faber than I got for a song and it's nice and compact but ~6# negative with reg, so not the best pony choice. Aluminum ponies are much closer to neutral.

I do dive Faber steel tanks exclusively though and you are doing yourself a disservice by not considering them.

Later,

Willem

Why are you not interested in a Faber? Tons of divers on this board use Faber's all the time, and are quite pleased with them.

Two reasons. First, I would prefer hot-dipped galvanized steel versus cold-galvanized painted steel tanks for durability reasons. I realize the cold ones can last many years as well with proper care but the hot-dipped ones are more durable. Second, the Faber tanks are a little heavier than the other three brands I mentioned. Admittedly not a big difference when we're talking about a small Pony but still a difference.

I know Faber tanks run lighter than PST tanks.

I got my solo certification in March using a 27 cubic foot aluminum pony tank and I’m now looking to buy a Pony bottle.

I'm in the early stages but my feeling at the moment is that I'd like to get steel pony bottle in the 19-27 cubic foot range. After an admittedly quick look at the market I'm not inclined to buy a Faber or ASHI. Near as I can tell neither PST, Worthington or Norris - all of which are brands I would buy - make smaller ponies at this time.

I was hoping I could get some feedback on where this leaves me. Can I still find tank from one of these manufacturers out there? Are there other alternatives?

Thanks in advance

Ask Tampico ED, he had a worthington 30cft for sale.

If you can find a worthington steel pony, buy it quickly.

I think that worthington quit making steel ponies because of low demand. so they are harder to find now. (I might be wrong )...

If you can find a worthington steel pony, buy it quickly.

I think that worthington quit making steel ponies because of low demand. so they are harder to find now. (I might be wrong )...

Your right, I'm still looking for a couple more Worthington 40's if you know of any for sale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom