SMB - Lift Bag Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a link to the Zeagle bags?

I'm not really in the market for more SMBs, just like to know what's available.

HenrikBP, I generally hate the Halcyon bags but that 3.8 looks promissing. I may try that. Cut off the velcro strap and create your own bungee loop. I have done that in the past. Does the Zeagle take a bunch of tension to keep it up or is it low lift?

I've never managed to fill the Zeagle so it would be able to stand up at full height - I've only shot it from about 30' and I'm not that good at shooting bags - but it's a sizable bag so I'd think it needs some pull to keep it upright.

I will replace the velcro with bungee and also add a loop to the top of the bag for attaching a strobe ... just in case. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Do you have a link to the Zeagle bags?

Signal Tubes - Safety Devices - Accessories - Zeagle Dive Systems

I have the Deluxe Signal Tube with the QD "holster". It's nice on simple warm water trips where I have the "holster" zip tied to the right side edge of my backplate. That way I can reach the strap with my right hand and pull out reel and tube already assembled.

Henrik

The Agir-Brokk semiclosed bags are also nice, very high build quality, just like their wings...

Deco

Don't know about availability over the pond, though.

//LN

A note on the Zeagle Deluxe SMB: The oral inflation valve is a bit clunky.

Unlike a Halcyon I tried this weekend, where you essentially just blow into the valve, the Zeagle valve requires you to manually press/compress the valve in order to blow air into the bag.

The "mouth piece" on the valve has a groove that you can "wedge" your front teeth into to press the valve as you're inflating. It is also possible to compress the valve using both hands, but I imagine it would be difficult at depth with gloves on.

Henrik

Reg inflate is far less entanglement prone than inflator because you can hold it out from your body. With the inflator fills, you are forced to pull the line in close to you. I don't know the officially taught method anymore, but I just put a drab of air in the bag to hold it up, unspool a little line and hold the spool and bag in my left hand and inflate with the reg in my right. This way, I pull the reg out of the way before releasing the bag.

Don't know if many other people do it, but I leave my BG drysuit inflator on my regs even when using Argon. (which I do all the time being in cold water) At depth just reach back and deploy it forward and press on it to the inflator. With the length of the hose you can keep it far awy from your body and there is no boltsnaps, or protuberences for it to catch on.

Another thing is for the larger bags & deeper shots we practice team bag shoots. One person handles the reel while the other inflates the bag. The reel man is responsible for keeping slack out of the line while the bag man inflates. With an efficient team it can be done quicker then an individual SMB deployment.

HenrikBP, I generally hate the Halcyon bags but that 3.8 looks promissing.

RTodd; I forgot to ask. Why don't you like Halcyon bags?

Thanks,

Henrik

RTodd; I forgot to ask. Why don't you like Halcyon bags?

Thanks,

Henrik

There is nothing wrong with the halcyon bags, I just prefer open bottom and traditionally Halcyon stuff has been inflator hose fill. I haven't seen a semi closed open bottom bag that works as well as the carter ones which effectively seals once you fill it. I will probably order the Halycon and give it a shot since Carter's bags are really overkill size wise for Cozumel type dives.

Hey RTodd:

You might want to check this bag out. :rofl3:

Seriously though, you might want to give timlittle a call or PM. He works for Carter bags and sells used bags and SMBs for pretty cheap; he might have something you're looking for.

Also, I have a Carter 35 pound Personal Float, 60 inches tall and 5 inches wide, and it has a volume of 0.5 ft3. It doesn't take much to inflate at depth but I don't know if it would be exactly what you're looking for. If you want, I could send it to you to try out and see for yourself.

I hope this helps and good luck.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the halcyon bags, I just prefer open bottom and traditionally Halcyon stuff has been inflator hose fill.

Thanks for the clarification. I tried one of the little 3.3' Halcyon closed circuit last weekend. I could oral inflate via the "inflator" valve, and given the small size it was very easy to control. Great for help with controlling stop depth on ascent - but probably a bit small if you want/need to be seen :)

Also, I have a Carter 35 pound Personal Float, 60 inches tall and 5 inches wide, and it has a volume of 0.5 ft3. It doesn't take much to inflate at depth ...

Which of these bags do you have:

Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes

In the table I don't see any 60" floats - maybe just a typo on the site?

Thanks,

Henrik

Thanks for the clarification. I tried one of the little 3.3' Halcyon closed circuit last weekend. I could oral inflate via the "inflator" valve, and given the small size it was very easy to control. Great for help with controlling stop depth on ascent - but probably a bit small if you want/need to be seen :)

Which of these bags do you have:

Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes

In the table I don't see any 60" floats - maybe just a typo on the site?

Thanks,

Henrik

Hello Henrik:

I can't find my tape measure but using my metre stick, the float measures 69 inches from end to end; it measures 63 inches long discarding anything not inflated. The diameter is 5 inches but negating the seams it's actually 4 inches. I (purchased it directly from Carter I think (either there or from Phil Ellis) and in the bottom in Sharpie it's written CBPF 35.

I modified it a little, cutting off the velcro straps that held it closed at the top and bottom and attached some bungee to the black webbing at the bottom to hold it closed. It holds closed nicely and measures 7.5 inches long and 3 inches in diameter. I can pop it in my thigh pocket and I even carry it loaded on my rear d-ring without notice. I like it. 4 medium breaths and it's fully inflated (at the surface).

I hope this helps. I will try to locate my measuring tape and if I find my addition was off, I will update this post.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom