SMB Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mick allein III

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All, I'm interested in purchasing a long, high quality SMB. Size matters. Do any double as a lift bag? Alternate buoyancy? Suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a 6 ft SMB that has 50lb of lift and can double as a lift bag and alternative buoyancy.It is thick and long. I have never seen it used, from my experience most divers have a 50lb lift bag and then a smaller smb that can be stored away.

it depends on what you want out of the SMB. SMB's come in two flavors. "come fetch me I'm lost at sea". typically very very large 2m or more, this can't double as second buoyancy usually due to size being unwieldy, but once at the surface you can use it as flotation. Other variety is the 1m that is designed to be sent up from depth to let the boat know something. Two very different purposes, two very different pieces of equipment

My favorite has a valve that can be filled from your BC inflator hose like this one from DRIS:

img_ac070_surface.jpg

XS Scuba 7ft Surface Marker | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

As has been suggested, the reason that there is a pretty wide variety of sizes and shapes for these things is because different dives bring on different needs. Why not tell us some details about what you want, so we can maybe give you better advice?

If you're going to use it as a left bag (I don't even...) make sure the opv is at the top so you can actually dump gas from it. If it's at the bottom you can only dump gas when it's totally full.

Mostly I would need it for come fetch me. Dives on the Great Lakes and in the ocean. I have a smaller one but an not convinced it could be seen from a distance.

If it's for Great Lakes (possible large waves) get one around 6'......one with an opv is far more versatile and worth a few more dollars. Smb's generally make poor lift bags and buoyancy back up only in a real emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom