SMB Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's 6' long. The DAN one is also 6' long and bigger around and with a wide Solas stripe that runs most of the length of it and with radar reflective material inside.

I'll expend the extra couple of breaths it takes to inflate it....

---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 08:46 AM ----------

Also, that Halcyon one appears to be a closed cell? So you cannot inflate it using your second stage reg? Deploying it from depth seems like it would be slightly more of a PITA than one that can be inflated using second stage exhaust (or by purging your octo).

Although essentially I agree with your points - the closed cell is more useful in a substantial unwelcomed stay in the water. Think lost for several hours on the ocean or large body of water with a current - a closed cell is the logical choice if you are doing a drift dive and are not picked up by the boat or swept away from shore. Carry both, one or none depending on your diving profiles. YMMV :D

Although essentially I agree with your points - the closed cell is more useful in a substantial unwelcomed stay in the water. Think lost for several hours on the ocean or large body of water with a current - a closed cell is the logical choice if you are doing a drift dive and are not picked up by the boat or swept away from shore. Carry both, one or none depending on your diving profiles. YMMV :D

But, maybe you wouldn't be lost for so long if you had a SMB that was more visible to the eye and to radar... :D :wink: Just teasing. You make a valid point. :)

It's 6' long. The DAN one is also 6' long and bigger around and with a wide Solas stripe that runs most of the length of it and with radar reflective material inside. I'll expend the extra couple of breaths it takes to inflate it....M---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 08:46 AM ----------Also, that Halcyon one appears to be a closed cell? So you cannot inflate it using your second stage reg? Deploying it from depth seems like it would be slightly more of a PITA than one that can be inflated using second stage exhaust (or by purging your octo).
Exactly why you want it slim and narrow. The wide ones take more than one breath to fully inflate and if you do that it sarts pulling you up. Some people (including me) prefer oral inflate as there is no chance of the reg freeflowing into the SMB and sending you straight to the surface. Its also much more precise and allows you to control buoyancy with great precision.

I've got the halcyon 4.5ft fat closed cell. I use my dry suit feed to in late. Works a treat

The wide ones take more than one breath to fully inflate and if you do that it sarts pulling you up. Some people (including me) prefer oral inflate as there is no chance of the reg freeflowing into the SMB and sending you straight to the surface. Its also much more precise and allows you to control buoyancy with great precision.

My training was that, once it starts to pull up, let it go. It doesn't need to be full when I let it go. Boyle's Law will take care of that on the way up.

I have practiced with mine in my local quarry. Always using reg exhaust to inflate it. Even deploying it from relatively shallow, letting it go when it starts to pull, it seems to be adequately full on the surface to stand up and be seen if I'm hanging on the line below it.

depending on depth it doesn't get filled all the way...

sometimes shooting those big ones from say 20' (it happens) doesn't allow them to fill all the way... i've shot smaller ones and the big 6' ones. It's not such a big deal and i stuck with the 6' one... i can't even remember where i purchased but it works good and has opv, oral inflate, open bottom etc. I think it was this 6ft High Vis YELLOW SMB

Halcyon recently released a new 6ft called the big slim. It's 6 foot like it's big brother, but skinnier and 20 pounds lift, instead of 40.

So when you launch it, it's not so violent like it's bigger brother. I really like it.

It's 6' long. The DAN one is also 6' long and bigger around and with a wide Solas stripe that runs most of the length of it and with radar reflective material inside.

I'll expend the extra couple of breaths it takes to inflate it....

---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 08:46 AM ----------

Also, that Halcyon one appears to be a closed cell? So you cannot inflate it using your second stage reg? Deploying it from depth seems like it would be slightly more of a PITA than one that can be inflated using second stage exhaust (or by purging your octo).
The Halcyon is $130 plus tax and the DAN is $60 and $80. Definetly not worth the extra money. I prefer the DAN as it it wider and has the radar reflective strip.

Don't know how much the latest Buddy's SMB cost but pretty sure it won't be anywhere near US$100.00. Have been happily using them since early 2000. And if I need a replacement, it would only be Buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom