SMB recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How you experienced guys are using your SMB?? ...I don't like the idea of a reel...too big...a spool??...too big...I don't like have lots of BIG equipement on me while diving..I prefer hydrodynamics..

Any ideas, suggestions, pictures...????

Thanks guys!

Scuba-Quebec:
How you experienced guys are using your SMB?? ...I don't like the idea of a reel...too big...a spool??...too big...I don't like have lots of BIG equipement on me while diving..I prefer hydrodynamics..

Any ideas, suggestions, pictures...????

Thanks guys!
A finger spool with a double ender is actually pretty small and light. I use either this or a DR safety reel. Both hold 100' of #36.

The spools are pretty small, around 3" across and 2" wide. You attach the SMB with a bolt snap to the line on the spool and shove the whole mess into a thigh pocket where it's more or less out of the way. Some people clip them off on a butt D-ring where it's also out of the way, but I'm too scared of the line coming undone. You'd be left with an impressive mass of tangled mess in the most inaccessible of places.

anyone heard about a line rolled on a pencil that you can roll with the smb...or using a chalk line reel(without powder of course..lol)? Heard that long time ago but can't remember when or where...

Ok... Clueless in Ohio, I admit it...

What about this one... it doesn't give much info..... I think I want something that can be used at the surface... but also it would be good to have one that can be deployed from a safety stop. So... oral inflate option.... um....

I like the idea of one that doesn't flop over at the surface... that I don't have to worry about keeping the end closed. I will practice using this with a spool....

I have a Zena BC and will have to find somewhere to stash it all....

I have heard about people attaching slates or even an underwater note... how is this done? What do you suggest? Thanks!

Amy,

I use an SMB. The SMB can be deployed either at the surface, or underwater. They come in both open and closed circuit design. The open circuit has a sealable flap, and the closed circuit has a valve. I use the Halcyon closed circuit. It is much taller and wider than a typical safety sausage, making it much more visible to the search party or crew. Because it is closed circuit, it does a much better job of holding air, and it won't spill if it breaches the surface. Check out Halcyons website for details. I own both the SMB and Lift Bag.

Mem

AmyJ:
Ok... Clueless in Ohio, I admit it...

What about this one... it doesn't give much info..... I think I want something that can be used at the surface... but also it would be good to have one that can be deployed from a safety stop. So... oral inflate option.... um....

I like the idea of one that doesn't flop over at the surface... that I don't have to worry about keeping the end closed. I will practice using this with a spool....

I have a Zena BC and will have to find somewhere to stash it all....

I have heard about people attaching slates or even an underwater note... how is this done? What do you suggest? Thanks!

An easy way to inflate the SMB is to use your dive alert. The inflator fits into the center of the devise and it will blow it up nicely. You don't have to disconnect anything. I have 18' of paracord wrapped around my SMB with a flashlight lanyard at the end. I inflate it and send it up to use for my safety stop, especially on drift dives (make sure you get one with an overinflation valve so it won't rupture). I can go a little negative and just hang there for the duration of the stop. Since I dive clear water, I can look down on the reefs and watch the action below. SWEET!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom