Smith Lake, Alabama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RRedd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there every one, I am from birmingham alabama and frequent smith lake. I have seen people up there spear fishing for cat fish, but i was wondering if anyone knows where some underwater structures are in the lake? I have heard that there is a underwater grave yard, and a jail. Does any one know anything about this or any places in the lake i can go to see something or is it just good for diving walls?

You might find more info diving Smith Lake in the DEEP DIXIE DIVERS forum.

If you wait until August/September to dive it, they suck down the water level 15 to 30 feet by that time of year. It'll put you closer to the bottom.

lil lucky 6363:
Hey there every one, I am from birmingham alabama and frequent smith lake. I have seen people up there spear fishing for cat fish, but i was wondering if anyone knows where some underwater structures are in the lake? I have heard that there is a underwater grave yard, and a jail. Does any one know anything about this or any places in the lake i can go to see something or is it just good for diving walls?

I'm from Birmingham and have recently been trying to dig up more info on Smith Lake myself. I've heard there are submerged buldings and possibly entire towns under Smith Lake, but haven't been able to find any specifics as yet. If you find any info, let me know... I'll do the same.

I am looking for the same info as well...

I to want this information I wiil be diving smith lake some this summer if I find anything good I will pass it on.

I have dove smith some, and have found some structures in the 30 to 50 ft range! There is an old church remains just SW of goat island. (Cullman side) If you go much deeper than 50 it gets REALLY cold! Vis is usually less than 5' as well.

There are remains LISTED in several areas around goat island and other areas of the lake. These are just GPS coordinates that I have on a map that can be purchased at any walmart or fishing store. One is a church, others are listed only as buildings/foundations. I got a report from SB'er noladiver that viz was 20ft once you get below the thermocline a weekend os so ago. I know this was true last september when we were there. The problem is the area around goat island is realtively shallow usually less than 100ft. We will be back to smith lake in the next few weeks and plan on diving the area around goat island.

We were there last sept and the water was very cold but was realtivley clear in the main channel near Duskin Point. We made a dive near the church site but viz was limited. Due to the current. Since the water was dropped we saw a foundation that was on a point and uncovered by the low water levels. The foundation was made of softball sized rocks and about knee high. There were a few boards partially uncovered in the sand near the foundations.

There are several other sites inclluding a few bridges as well as Clear creeks falls a set of waterfalls that were 43feet and 37 feet tall all of which is submereged beneath the waters of smith lake.

Several good info sites:

Falls City

Smith Lake Community Forum :: Index

Im not sure but I'll get my map out tonight and see for sure.

I do know that there is or is in the process of a development being built near the falls and according to their SITE the falls are subemerged 25 feet in front of the development.

Late in the summer of 1961 the rising waters finally overtook the upper falls and the Clear Creek Falls forever disappeared from view. Those falls now sit submerged 25 feet in front of this development.

Now whether this mean submerged in 25feet of water in front of the development, or subemered 25 feet from the development im not sure. But if we assume the top of the falls is 25 feet then you have a 37 foot drop followed by a 43 foot drop you have a total depth of 105 feet. So even though its auugust pack your thick suit!!!!

Also found this on another site i referenced above:

Residents deserted Falls City long before construction of the dam began. The town had exhausted all possibilites for growth by the time the flood waters covered Clear Creek Falls and the remainder of Falls City. Falls City never fulfilled the expectations of its developers.

I have since I originally posted this thread dove smith lake. I think I have the same map that "BNOW0707" has. I plotted some of the GPS Coordinates. I dove some church rubble as well. I did not see anything. As a matter of fact I could barely see my SPG that day. Then we moved on to another site, dove there and the Vis was a lot better. This second site was back in a slough. The Vis opens up at the bottom to about 20 feet. The only thing I saw was a tree, in which my anchor was hooked. This site was labeled dwellings. Then later that day we saw some other divers out there. They were diving near the Castle, the one that is made into the side of the rock. They told me that they dove down and hit trees at about 60 feet. I have heard that there is some of the original equipment under there somewhere. You know from back when they flooded the area originally. I heard that it filled faster than expected. Word has it that there is a crane that people free dive to. I have had no luck in finding someone who can show me this site. As well I have heard of either 2 or 3 small planes going down in the lake as well. Same with this plane story no one can show me where or even make a good guess. So if anyone knows of some "OLD TIMERS" that know the lake really well, ask them. Doesn't hurt to ask. As well I will keep the board posted of my findings. I also plan on going back up there in about 3 weeks. I will be doing some diving, hopefully on something cool Never know what you might find. Thanks to all who have chimed in on this matter. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom