Smith Lake, Alabama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lil lucky 6363 - I have "heard", and I think it was from someone on the smith lake community forum I referenced, that a small single engine type plane crashed into the powerlines near duskin point marina and sank. Problem is that most if the water under those line is beyind recreational limits and up to 300 feet in some places.

Also on another note as best as I can tell the falls sit in nearly 70' of water and over 150' on the bottom on past the falls so they are mostly diveable. But I imagine the water would be pretty cold.

My map contains 76 "GPS Locations" containing 29 "ruins" (including 1 church ruins). 6 bridges, several culverts, humps, and a few submerged ponds. But you have to remember the lake was complleted in Sept 1961. The first Satellite Positioning system was used in 1960 by the U.S. Navy. Point being without knowing when or where the coordinates were obtained, they are only slightly reliable.

When we attempted to dive the church ruins as we were a "short" distance form the GPS coordinate listed for the church, my sonar indicated a jagged rise of about 10 feet off the bottom then a rapid drop back to normal depth. I'm not sure what posessed me to ignore this at the time but guess thats just me. We will be back to Smith in a few weeks and i'm tryin to find a decent sonar to mount on the 24 foot pontoon we bought to dive off of. The unit on my other boat was about $300, can't justify that much on this pontoon since that would be nearly 1/2 the price of the boat.

I have heard also on the smith lake forums, that there was equipment left near the dam as the lake filled faster than expected. But im not sure how legitimate this is because of the accuracy of the engineers building the lake. They predicted and marked to within 6 inches where the water would stop when the lake was full.

My Grandparents had a lake house beside Duskin Point marina back when that plane went down, and it was said that because of the depth, the ppl on board were never recovered. Like BNow0707 said it can get over 300' in that area.

My wife a few friends and I dove smith lake this past saturday we weren't on the building or anything mostly hunting some lost fishing gear for a friend of the family. (its just a good excuse to go diving). Anyway the vis above the 30' mark was maybe 2' to be generous, but the water cleared to about 10-15' below thermocline(30'). temp below thermocline was a chilly 61. It was a great day to be in the water and we're looking forward to going to check out the buildings and such soon. thanks for the info

I also talked to a older man saturday that is a reliable source about the lake, he was around there when it went under. he says that there is all kinds of machinery and equipment above dam, and he dove the plane that went done, he said it was on a ledge in fairly shallow water and when they went back to dive it again it had fell over the ledge to god knows how deep.

I dive Smith Lake occasionally mostly spearfishing catfish. I have always wanted to go out and look for some of those dwellings on the map but my boat dosen't have a good fishfinder/sonar. Even so it would still be tough to find something like that without some sort of "old timer's" help. I'm sure that somebody who was around when the lake was flooded could steer you in the right direction.

you can get a map from cartiograph (spelling may be wrong) in bluff park that shows what was there before they filled the lake. I have a map I bought at chinamart that has most of the same information.. underwater roads, towns, etc...

My Grandparents had a lake house beside Duskin Point marina back when that plane went down, and it was said that because of the depth, the ppl on board were never recovered. Like BNow0707 said it can get over 300' in that area.

yep, my depth gauge says it's 190-270' or more feet deep all through the main channel.

I have found a possible source for aerial photgraph's from before and after the inundation of smith lake. Once I can get my hands on hard copies and review them I'll post what info I have gathered.

CartoCraft. It's in the Bluff Park Shopping Center right down from the Piggly Wiggly. They have got maps of everything in there.

You might want to call Cartocraft before going out of your way. I tried calling them once and they told me that they had no maps of smith lake pre flooding. The only thing that the lady I talked to knew anything about was old submerged gold mines in lake martin. I could be wrong about that though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom