Smith Lake "goin down"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RV

Contributor
Reaction score
Sunday, when I was @ Smith Lake, I saw a pontoon boat with a dive flag and the front of the boat said "goin down". Anyone know who runs this boat?

I know some guys from work that live on Smith Lake. I'll ask them next time i see them. Was the name of the boat "goin down"?

yep, on the front of the boat.. goin down

I bet following some of the old roads down into the lake from the shore might be a decent shore dive. I'm sure people have pushed vehicles down them to dump them since the lake was flooded.

As for "Goin Down", I doubt it's a commerical operator. I"m betting it's just a private boat that had divers on it. (I would have prob eased on over after they got their divers out of the water to see what they saw, ask conditions, (push "save location" on the GPS while there) ,etc.

mike_s:
(push "save location" on the GPS while there) ,etc.

I have got to get one of those.

I would attempt to do a shore dive if anyone is up for it. There a few roads that I know of that end in the lake. I bet some local Cullman divers would know more about the diving there. I might give one a call tomorrow.

There's all kinds of stuff "dumped" in the lake.. I'd wouldn't be surprised to find a body in one of those cars.

There are walls that drop 200' that I bet would be cool to dive.. I have a map that shows old structures (bridges, cabins, etc) from before the flooding. I'd be more concerned about any possible current and then there's the tree tops.

They had dive flags painted on both sides of the boat too.. I discovered my gps antenna has stopped talking to the unit as of last weekend. I could easily find it again but the place they were diving didn't look like it would be very interesting..

It may be better to stick to ABWA. I bet the vis is horrible.

We talked about diving there a few months back. It just never happened.

Back
Top Bottom