Smoker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somehow I bet a person diving while high would exhibit wooziness; giddiness; euphoria; disorientation; loss of balance; loss of manual dexterity; slowing of reaction time; fixation of ideas; and impairment of complex reasoning.

In other words, for those of you who don't recognize the symptoms, it would be like diving with a buddy who was suffering from a good, old-fashioned case of nitrogen narcosis. Not a good way to start a dive. :wink:

Wouldn't anyone actually need "data" to confirm that diving while high probably isn't a great idea? (Only slightly dumber than diving WITH someone who was high.)

By definition, true anesthetics will reverse with pressure so why not test to see if there is a reversal of the symptoms while high? Just a thought... but I find these kind of questions fun anyway. :dork:

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is the paranoia aspect. I have friends who smoke pot and they've complained about racing hearts, anxiety attacks, etc on certain types. Why in the world would someone want to increase their risk of panicking underwater? Aren't we supposed to REDUCE stress?

So, not only are you a raging hypocrite (unless you've never done anything illegal yourself, I'm sure you never speed, always come to a complete stop, etc) but you also just not a very nice person at all. Cutting off members of your family for smoking pot is questionable, but I don't care what the guy did, wishing death upon someone isn't exactly cool.

This guy, JimLap whom you were referring to in the above quote, along with some others were wishing that Darwin would take care of me too soon earlier. He's not real friendly is he? :shakehead:

IMHO; anyone who gets "paranoid" after smoking a joint has... "deeper issues", issues that they should resolve long before deciding to dive.

Can you dive stoned? Sure you can.
Will I dive with you? No, you're stoned, and happen to be carrying my reserve gas supply. I need my reserve gas carried by someone who is 100% on the ball.
You aint it.

IMHO; anyone who gets "paranoid" after smoking a joint has... "deeper issues", issues that they should resolve long before deciding to dive.

Can you dive stoned? Sure you can.
Will I dive with you? No, you're stoned, and happen to be carrying my reserve gas supply. I need my reserve gas carried by someone who is 100% on the ball.
You aint it.
Well said MBH! I second that!

towlie.jpg

This post nearly made me spit my coffee all over my screen! :rofl3:

those who are not smokers or have drunk the government kool aid have blown this up all out of proportion... as a Daily smoker for over 10 yrs. I can tell you that "being high" is very similiar to "not being high" , only better... this whole depiction of stumbling, mumbling, "slow reaction time"? (really? care to try and back that up with a link?) is jus' ignorant crap.

I havent dove a single dive as yet... and I forsee myself forgoing smoking before dives...., but later, if I become comfortable with it, I probably will ... to make it seem as if doing so is some kind of suicide pact tho' is ignorant and alarmist...

pot heads come from every part of our society, you have dumb ones (typical stoneresque stereotype) and you have smart ones (Carl Sagan smoked every day of his adult life), we look just like everybody else for the most part and you probably have friends who'd you'd have to call the cops on if they werent in the closet... then again they probably wouldnt want to associate themselves with such a close-minded fool to begin with so your probably safe.

those who are not smokers or have drunk the government kool aid have blown this up all out of proportion... as a Daily smoker for over 10 yrs. I can tell you that "being high" is very similiar to "not being high" , only better... this whole depiction of stumbling, mumbling, "slow reaction time"? (really? care to try and back that up with a link?) is jus' ignorant crap.

I havent dove a single dive as yet... and I forsee myself forgoing smoking before dives...., but later, if I become comfortable with it, I probably will ... to make it seem as if doing so is some kind of suicide pact tho' is ignorant and alarmist...

pot heads come from every part of our society, you have dumb ones (typical stoneresque stereotype) and you have smart ones (Carl Sagan smoked every day of his adult life), we look just like everybody else for the most part and you probably have friends who'd you'd have to call the cops on if they werent in the closet... then again they probably wouldnt want to associate themselves with such a close-minded fool to begin with so your probably safe.

I used to partake a long time ago and would not dream of diving while high. Yes, I used to function quite well when high but also realize that I wasn't 100%. Diving is a potentially dangerous activity if you don't have the proper training, the right equipment and the proper focus on what you are doing at the time. Also, since recreational diving is highly dependent on the buddy system, you need a buddy who is properly trained, outfitted and focused to help ensure your safety. I wouldn't trust myself to be a dependable dive buddy to anyone while high and would not want my buddy high either.

You say being high is better than not being high??? Different, yes, better, no. I think it might be a good idea to try living life for say 30 days in a row without getting high just to see how your outlook on things might change.

Keep in mind that I have nothing against those who like to smoke weed as long as they aren't doing anything at the time where others are dependent upon the smoker for their safety. Also, I believe our government should drop marijuana from the war on drugs. Marijuana wouldn't be a gateway drug if users didn't have to associate with the criminal element in order to get it; the same criminal element that deals in a wide assortment of truly dangerous drugs.

PvtStash, I hope you get your dive training while straight and that you dive straight also. You will see that diving is a wonderful activity all by itself without being high. If after many, many dives you feel comfortable enough to dive while high, then go for it. Just make sure you're completely solo so no buddy is possibly endangered and no one else is in the area who would feel obligated to come to your aid in case of an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom