Snorkel dry vs. not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

after my first pool dive, my instructor said, "here, try my dry snorkel" since then, I have used nothing but, it never freezes up and its easy to clear, however, if your snorkeling, you dont ever have to clear it, only when switching from your regulator to the snorkel would you have to clear. Now, until I read this post, I didnt know you could do rescue breathing with a snorkel, so that is somehting to consider. But I like my dry snorkel.

Dry snorkels are crutches, and they often impede proper gas exchange, as do some semi-dry snorkels. Many purge snorkels are harder to clear than non-purge models because of poor valve placement.

Many freediving courses today teach snorkel removal prior to a dive, and replacement after breath recovery. This will provide a more relaxed jaw, dry airway, no bubbles, less respiratory dead space, less drag and mask interference.

Chad

I know I don't like the drag of my snorkel when I free dive. But I haven't found anything to replace it with that I like. I'd love something that I can enjoy freediving, but also use with scuba. Then I also get sticker shock when I look at new snorkels. I can't believe how much they want for a tube.:)

Thanks for all the comments! It's amazing that something even as "simple" as a snorkel can become complicated! I've decided this is a great opportunity to get to order a new snorkel, and went with the Tusa Hyperdry. I'm really interested in seeing how this ends up comparing. I do think something wrong. . . or at least occasionally wrong (which is way too much for me!) was going on with the valve sticking on the top. I still don't understand why I couldn't get the water to clear, though. At least initially, I'd have a good, forceful breath, but when the next inhalation is going to just bring in water. . . . that next "breath" isn't going very far in clearing anything! And even a dry snorkel seems like it has to get water in it when you're completely submerged. But what IS a j-tube? Is that just a tube? j-shaped??
Thanks!

The simplest snorkel is shaped like a J and has no valves. Just the tube and mouthpiece. For SCUBA it is nice to have a flex snorkel, so when it is spit out to put the regulator in your mouth the snorkel is out of the way. I have to twist the nonflex J snorkel forward for it to be out of the way of the regulator.

Angela2932

Obviously not much can go wrong with a plain old J Tube snorkel.

Your clearing problem sounds like you are not blowing it with enough velocity, you want to pop that water out of there. A quick it more than a long blow is needed. As mentioned if you face up and clear just as you are breaking the surface you will be pushing the water horizontally instead of vertically and have an easier time. In any case any method should work for an individual with good wind.

If you go too slow you may be bubbling out through the purge valve and never clearing the sump.

Make sure the purge valve is OK, seating flat and no debris in the device.

Modern full feature snorkels seem to have a collection of features.....

PURGE VALVE: A little cage valve much like a regulator exhaust valve. The intent is to let you expel a lot of the water without pushing it up. In practice they can allow annoying leaks, are susceptible to sand and needless with decent technique. If you get on be sure that the valve is sheltered in some sort of vented cavity. If it's right out there surge or a quick head movement can open it and water will enter while you surface swim.

I've not noticed the susceptibilty to sand or leaking and I do a lot of beach snorkeling.

Thanks for all the comments! It's amazing that something even as "simple" as a snorkel can become complicated! I've decided this is a great opportunity to get to order a new snorkel, and went with the Tusa Hyperdry. I'm really interested in seeing how this ends up comparing. I do think something wrong. . . or at least occasionally wrong (which is way too much for me!) was going on with the valve sticking on the top. I still don't understand why I couldn't get the water to clear, though. At least initially, I'd have a good, forceful breath, but when the next inhalation is going to just bring in water. . . . that next "breath" isn't going very far in clearing anything! And even a dry snorkel seems like it has to get water in it when you're completely submerged. But what IS a j-tube? Is that just a tube? j-shaped??
Thanks!
Most are actually more G or C shaped.

I would call it more candy cane shaped. With a "G" or "C", I would be breathing out of my ear.:)

Maybe a Candy Cane is Snorkel shaped?

And hey, clearing a simple J snorkel is like clearing a double hose regulator. You all still remember that, right? :)

Six pairs of fins and four masks make me think I sort of collect equipment. Always looking for the just right thing. But as to snorkels, I only have one kind: Tusa Platina II. I've had others but ended up just not wanting them in my house. I've experienced the sticky valve bit: That's a nasty turn when you're popping your head out of the water looking forward to some nice, fresh, life preserving air! No thanks! Anyway, why bring moving parts into a device that works perfectly without them? Oh well, each to his own. I'm willing to try others but for me, right now, the Platina II is the best snorkel made.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom