Snorkeling Gear vs. Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CMCO

Reaction score
I am a new diver getting certified this summer. So I have a few questions. I have mask, fins, and a snorkel that I have been snorkeling with. Is there a difference in performance, function, or features between gear that works for snorkeling and personal gear needed for scuba? Thanks for your help.

Your snorkeling gear will probably work to get you through your OW class. But it's a far cry from true dive gear. I started out using snorkeling gear from US Divers. I figured it was the same stuff. Mask leaked constantly at depth. I abandoned the fins before OW was through, and through away the snorkel as soon as OW was done.

Comrade Stroke

If you bought your snorkel gear in one of those "all in one" bags at Walmart, then it will probable not hold up well below 20 feet.

If you bought realitively moderately priced mask, fins and snorkel at a SCUBA shop or sporting goods store it is possably good enough to get you through a beganning SCUBA class.

The only real difference in the gear for snorkeling is that teh fins will usually be the full foot pocket type that fit like a slip on shoe. They are only good for really warm water because you can not get a neoprene booty into the fin. Also good snorkel fins are very long in compairison to SCUBA fins. They are designed for surface swimming and strong drive to surfce dive. Long fins don't work well when you SCUBA dive because it is difficult to turn, sit on the bottom for a class and SCUBA divers don't really do strong kicking because all the gear you will have on creates a lot of drag.

Once you get started with the class you will figure out if your snorkel gear is the right fit for the task or not, before you really do any open ocean dives.

Without knowing the brands/model we really can't say....you may own gear perfc. suitable for scuba. The LDS I deal with selling nothing but scuba quality gear, even the low end lines. Ask your instructor to review your gear. Best of luck in your class--ENJOY!

CMCO:
Thanks for all of the info. Here is what I have. Works OK for snorkeling just not sure about going deeper. I will check in with the dive shop next time by also.

http://www.usdivers.com/pages/travel_ready_adultset1.html

In all likely hood that will get you started and thru an open water basic course....you may want to upgrade down the road as you learn a bit more about the gear avialable to you and keep this as backup gear.

Enjoy your class...you will enjoy scuba.

in the description for fins it says "dive boots not recommended". depending on where you are going to do your OW dives it may not be optimal.
also, i'm always skeptical when i see "One-size-fits-all". face and bone structure varies from person to person. you should check if the mask is a really good fit for you.

I started my collection out with a Snorkle set by Body Glove from Sports Authority. about 89 bucks for the set and everything worked well for my OWD class and my AOW and specialties including Deep. My Wife still uses her set for diving. I had my LDS check the Mask and they said that a Double seal silicone with Tempered Glass is fine as long as it fits correctly. The lack of trying it on for improper fit can cause the leak.

My Body Glove Mask is part of my Save a Dive kit now as I have upgraded to a Frameless that I picked up in a LDS on North Shore.

::Edit:: I also used Full Foot Fins for my checkout dives. They were decent and worked better than some of the non-full foot fins I tried. At least for me. And the Snorkle is a bent tube, use a $1 one if you like as long as it isn't too long that you rebreath CO2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom