Snorkeling in St. Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LunaBuna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,
I need help! We're going to St. Thomas mid-January and really want to snorkel. We are trying to determine if we need to rush to get a passport so we can go to the British Virgin Islands. We are staying near Water Bay (in the attached pic I marked where we are staying on my Navionics app). To tell you the truth, I'd prefer to not have to worry about a passport. What are some good places to snorkel in the US Virgin Islands? Or is it imperative that we get our passports for BVI? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• St. Thomas.PNG
    St. Thomas.PNG
    366.8 KB · Views: 80
I agree, there's a snorkel trail at Trunk Bay mentioned pretty often. Also: 7 Best Snorkeling Spots in St. John

On St. Thomas - Hull Bay on the north side is supposed to be good for snorkeling. A lot of people snorkel at Coki Beach but I found it pretty flat and featureless on a dive there - the cruise lines do snorkel excursions there.

If you're staying off Water Bay - so did we. Coki beach is the peninsula on the north side of the bay - we mostly walked along the beach to it. A few minutes drive south is Red Hook where some of the ferries dock - including 2 car ferries to St. John so you can bring your rental if you have one.

You need a passport to go to the BVI's. The fast ferries all port in places where there's a customs/immigration office.

Coming back we cleared on St. John prior to docking on St. Thomas in Red Hook.

Last edited:
I agree, there's a snorkel trail at Trunk Bay mentioned pretty often. Also: 7 Best Snorkeling Spots in St. John

On St. Thomas - Hull Bay on the north side is supposed to be good for snorkeling. A lot of people snorkel at Coki Beach but I found it pretty flat and featureless on a dive there - the cruise lines do excursions there.

If you're staying off Water Bay - so did we. A few minutes drive south is Red Hook where some of the ferries dock - including 2 car ferries to St. John so you can bring your rental if you have one.

You need a passport to go to the BVI's. The fast ferries all port in places where there's a customs/immigration office.

Coming back we cleared on St. John prior to docking on St. Thomas in Red Hook.

But you don't need a passport to go to St. John, right?

nope, us soil.

if you are just snorkeling, there isn't an absolute need to head over to the bvi. st john has some decent spots for that.

Last edited:
Johnson Reef is also a good place to snorkel. I see you use Navionics so I'm including a screen shot of its location using my Navionics mobile app. BVI has better snorkeling for sure, but if you're strapped for time to get your passport then I would say visit some of the places that are suggested on this forum and then get a passport when you can and put BVI on your list for next time. Have fun!
IMG_0767.png

IMG_1002 (2).PNG

There are two ferry routes between
St. Thomas and St. John, USVI.
Arrows.png

The Shortest Boat Ride (will require taxi to/from airport):
Between Red Hook, St. Thomas & Cruz Bay, St. John.

• $6.00 each way

• Approximately 20 minutes

• Runs hourly between 6:00 am and Midnight.

Arrows.png
The Direct Ferry Route: Between Downtown Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas & Cruz Bay, St. John.

• $12.00 each way

• Approximately 40 minutes.

• Runs start in Cruz Bay at 8:45am and the latest returns from Charlotte Amalie at 5:30 pm in the evening.

Varlack Ventures Ferry Services Between St. John and St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Worked on St. Thomas for almost a year. For my money, Sapphire Resort, near Red Hook has really good snorkeling - reliable turtle sightings, normal pretty reef fish, tarpon, barracuda, schools of squid. Easy entry. A beachside bar/restaurant (at least in Nov 2016) onsite and water sports rentals - kayaks, etc. The snorkel trail at Trunk Bay is neat. The facilities there make is easy to make a full day trip to St. John - hang at the beach all day, bring a dry change of clothes and some toiletries, grab a shower and head to Cruz Bay for happy hour and dinner before jumping a ferry back to St. T. If you like a bit of adventure, head to Waterlemon Cay on Leinster Bay. It's about a 20 minute stroll along a path to a lovely beach, then snorkel across the bay to the island. Wear sturdy shoes - the trail is sandy and rocky.

I've heard from many people that Coki Beach was the best snorkeling in the Virgin Islands. I don't have experience myself there, but it left an impression on many people that have snorkeled there.

coki is flooded with cruise pax a lot of the time. it also is pretty sandy and barren. there are a decent amount of small reef fish that hang about, but i believe they are there because they are getting fed by people

Back
Top Bottom