Snorkeling Suggestions for Oahu in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sid2

Reaction score
We'll be leaving day after X-mas and would like some advice on winter snorkeling spots. I have two weeks to spend in Oahu so would like to hit various areas if that's possible. I've never been there in the winter so not sure what the water conditions will be like. We don't have access to a boat so we'll have to stick to beach access. Also, we probably won't be visiting any other Islands. Was going to pack shorties just in case the water temps were cool. Should I just leave them home? Thanks in advance for any info...Sid

the biggest spot ive found is Hanauma Bay. Its a nature presurve so its well kept. Theres also sharks cove, and three tables up on north shore. Because the waves might be extremely rough, those spots might be a little hard to do some good snorkeling

If you're going to be in the water for hours at a time, I would take a full 2-3 mm wetsuit. I was there in Aug and was free diving for 3-5 hours per day with a full 3mm and a 2mm hooded vest. I was getting a little chilly. It's a bit cooler in December.
And you're only safe bet for good snorkeling that time of year is the areas protected from the north to northwest swells. These can get huge and can jump up from 3-4 feet to over 15 feet in less than an hour. If you do venture to the north shore, check the local surf reports before jumping in the water.
Waikiki side is calm that time of year. Hanauma Bay is really nice too. But Hawaii in general is a bit of an aquatic desert as far as marine life. Nice, clear water though.

oops, double post

I don't think the north shore is a good idea any time of year unless your on your a game and have mad skills on battling the surf. i was there this time of year with 20ft surf, hanauma is always a safe bet for beginner snorkelers.

A dive skin is a good choice and offers protection from jellys.

We get box jellies 10 days after the full moon and man-o-war on the east side, but none are considered deadly.

Boattech-you were here during the high surf season, but there are some great beginner sites on the north shore in the summer when the south shore is rockin. It all depends on when you are here.

As for snorkeling sites, there are some shallow wrecks off Waikiki but they are kind of tough to find if you don't know the area.

Hanauma bay is always good, but get there early. It gets really crowded really quick. Electric Beach is also good. If you go during the week don't leave any valuables in sight. If you go during the weekend there are enough divers and snorkelers there to scare off most of the more seedy characters. Hanauma is easy to find. To find information on E-Beach search for Kahe Point or Electric Beach.

And as others have said... The North Shore is a bad idea this time of year, the waves either make it dangerous or drops the vis to near zero. Most of the wrecks in Waikiki are way too far off shore to snorkel to. You can usually get the dive operators there to bring you along for the ride at a reduced rate from the divers.

How deep are the wrecks? Are they photo worthy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom