Snorkeling vest for my kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricAdvin

Registered
Reaction score
We are going on vacation and want to take the kids snorkeling. My kids are you 6 & 9. They aren't good swimmers at all. They are just learning to swim. I'm considering getting them snorkeling vest instead of taking their life vests. By since they are not good swimmers at all I worry about their safety in using vests. They will be next to both my wife and I at all times but still things can go wrong. So I'm wondering if snorkeling vest will keep them buoyant. Or should I take their life vest?

Thanks

The husband and I are fairly good swimmers but we always snorkel with vests especially when we go a ways out from shore. We like the inflatable vest that zip up the front that we found on Ebay but I believe they are available on some of the dive web sites. You can inflate them to what ever level you want or not inflate them at all if you want to free dive. The nice thing is they pack very flat and don't weight anything. Also the nice bright colors they come in help being visible while snorkeling with any boat or jet ski traffic. Some of the dive stores sell a vest that is more like a bib that has straps that go down between the legs but people we know that have them don't like the straps.
Just my two cents worth....

Becky
kyvideoservices.com

Hey EricAdvin,
I'm not too familiar with snorkeling vests at all so I'll hold my opinions on that subject. But I'd like to hand out what I thought was an extremely useful bit of info.
I've been a lifeguard for a few years now and the one most important thing I learned was that someone who's drowning won't make a the stereotypical action of splashing and screaming. Rather they usually go real peaceful and slowly drift under.

Source articles:
ABC - Parenting: Drowning doesn't look like drowning
Another article detailing a true story

Since you're kids can't swim reliably yet, I would strongly advise both you and your wife to not only be at their side within arms reach but also to keep an actual eye on them. Check in with them frequently, if not verbally then at least physically. You can use a hand signal such as the scuba "OK", it's both a question and an answer. You're kids might actually enjoy learning and using this, as it's something new.
okay1.jpg
- "OK" hand signal

My only other advice to you is to also carry some sort of flotation device where you can get your kids at least shoulder high up in the water and stable too. Reason for this is incase your kid takes a mouthful of water and starts to cough uncontrollably.

This can be a kick board the you'll hold on to while you hold your kid up high in the water OR it could be a flotation vest of some kind that will keep your kid high up in the water.
I'm not a parent but if I were in charge of a child I would prefer a flotation device directly on the child. One that will be stable so I could potentially let go and not worry about it flopping the kid face first into the water.

If a snorkel vest accomplishes this then it may be a good idea for all of you to have one. Trust me, not having to tread water makes managing things a lot easier. :wink:

Adults and kids differ somewhat when learning to swim so take from this what you will. My friend had never seen and ocean much less swam in one and he'd also only stood/floated in a pool. When it came time to go on his first snorkel trip with us on Cozumel from shore I'd told him about the snorkel vest and he thought they were a fine idea. He's 6 8' and by no means bone thin, however the bib style that he got was the perfect amount of assistance. They come in sizes so take that into consideration when buying. He had it inflated pretty full when we got into the water and gradually let some out as he gained confidence. Near the end he was tired from being so excited about seeing all the fish and blew it up about 1/2 way and paddled back into shore on his back easily. The back part of the neck did help him keep his head from going too far back in the water and the crotch strap did keep it down and in place without being uncomfortable. Plus wearing these really free up your arms. If your little guys aren't jumping into the ocean from a boat or dock I think a snorkel vest will help them out.

If your kids aren't good swimmers, a life vest is more secure. You can find "cool" ones that aren't over bulky. Make sure they have a crotch strap.

Young ones can be negatively buoyant- they sink, especially when they exhale.

We have snorkeling vests. They are Aqualung with a stem oral inflator.
These vests deflate when you push on the stem end.
They inflate by pushing the stem end open with your teeth, and blowing.
It's not like the big oral inflator mouthpiece on a bc.

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom