Snorkeling with the whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did it, one of the best experiences ever.

Two tips, bring ecological sun tan lotion with you, they are not going to let you use any "chemical" sun tan. And you are going to spend about 4 or 5 hours on a boat under Mexican Caribbean SUN!!!

Second, ask the boat captain to swim without the vest. The problem is asap the shark sees you, it begins to go to the bottom, so you are not going to see it very clearly (the water is full of placton), so you need to go deeper a few yards.

Regards
Alex

Thanks Alex! Where do you live anyway...?

The boats we took are shaded but the sun does indeed reflect off of the water; I think I did burn a bit the second day. Biodegradable sun lotion is the only type allowed in any park, including with the Dominoes; thanks for the reminder.

We never saw a shark go down tho? Just away. My video does have one scene of a huge tail fin close-up that I got after being lightly smacked. :blush: Not supposed to get that close of course, but - happened, oops. The one manta we swam with did descend some, shot him upside down below me - then he rolled over and away.

Hi Don, I live in Kantenah, between Puerto Aventuras an Akumal (it's 30km south of Playa del Carmen).

It's not that the shark goes straight to the bottom, it just descends a few meters, but when i want that was enough for not getting a good picture.

BTW, if somebody is staying at HolBox, bring cash with you, may places do not accept Credit Cards (it's really a very small but beatiful town)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom