Snorkelling Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riks75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am new to snorkelling and would like your input in selecting snorkelling gear (fins, snorkel, mask and vest). I will really appreciate if you can give me suggestions for gear for the too categories
1) If money is no object.
2) Not the most expensive but really good (can be avg or above avg price)

Thanks in advance

as far as masks go I really like the Cressi Big Eyes mask. It's comfortable and gives a great field of vision, then again, it all depends on your head/face size. Atleast with masks you can try a bunch on
As for snorkel, it's not like you can go into a store and try a bunch out but I really fell in love with the SV1 snorkel from atomic, so much I did a review on it
What is the Best Snorkel?

As far as fins go, I would just try a bunch on at a dive shop and see what you like...some might even let you try them out in your pool

Happy snorkeling

No product is "best" for everyone, because it depends on your circumstances. As Fisheater said so succinctly the most important aspects of mask, fins (and wetsuit) is FIT. If you have access to Local Dive Shops than try on everything and buy what fits best. Don't forget to search ScubaBoard - there are several threads discussing how to choose a mask that fits, and some great threads recently discussing snorkels.

I recommend buying the cheapest item that fits perfectly, because it's likely that after you've done a lot of snorkeling you 'll discover that you need different gear.

Some decisions you'll make after you're experienced:

You might take up photography and therefore decide you need solid fins (not split fins) so that you can easily swim in reverse, and use frogkick so you don't kick up silt. OR you might discover you have weak ankles and would prefer split fins.

You may discover you like freediving, or simply spending alot of time down deep, or doing photography with a DSLR camera, in which case you'll want a low-profile mask. OR you might have unusually bad fogging problems that you can't solve, in which case you'll want a very high-profile mask so the glass is further from the warmth of your face.

If you often do shore-based snorkeling from a rocky or glass-covered location, or you snorkel in very cold water, then you might prefer open-heel fins worn over boots, worn with fin-keepers. OR if that isn't a problem and/or you travel frequently then you'll probably prefer closed-heel fins, which weigh less and are alleged to give more power (they fit with the foot "as one").

If you have strong ankles and either travel a long distance over the surface or freedive very deep then you may prefer long fins which give more power per stroke. OR if you have weak ankles, or travel frequently, or spend alot of time over shallow reefs, or investigating caves, or winding your way through narrow rocks channels then you may prefer small fins.

If you discover that you're quite scared of sharks (who allegedly are attracted to yellow) then you may even want black gear with no contrasting panels. But if you're more concerned about being seen easily by friends and boats then you'll want brightly coloured gear, especially yellow which is very visible at depth. You won't find out which type of safety matters most to you until you've spent some time in the water.

So for now just buy something that fits and feels comfortable. Leave the hard decisions for later when you know what you want.

NB: I'm simplifying things above - obviously there are other aspects that aren't relevant to you yet.

SPECIFIC GEAR TIPS because you probably demand them:
As you're a newbie I recommend buying thin neoprene socks to wear under your fins and/or boots, to prevent blisters and help the fins "grasp" your feet well. Buy the socks first and wear them when trying on fins.

If you have poor eyesight then the best thing you can spend your money on is a prescription mask. You can appreciate the fishies better, see whether boats are approaching, see if you're drifting too far away, find your buddy, etc. Some masks have optional prescription lens inserts available for the manufacturer. Most masks, however, are suitable for fully-customised lenses which cost a little more. If you search Scubaboard you'll find several excellent threads.

Don't forget exposure protection (wetsuit, rashie, etc). Even in warm water it's good to have protection from sun and jellyfish.

Whatever you eventually choose in the way of snorkelling gear must suit and fit you, not anybody else, whether you're purchasing fins, mask or snorkel. In the case of fins, you will find that they come in a size range, not a single size, so "8-10" may be very loose for somebody who is size 8 but be a bit tight for somebody who is size 10. Widths and heights vary enormously, so to ensure your feet dimensions match the capacity of the foot pockets, you need to try on many pairs before you find the make and brand that is best for you. Price is no guarantee of fit or suitability. Personally, I wear traditional all-rubber full-foot fins when I go snorkelling in the cold waters of the North Sea and I have pairs with foot pockets big enough to fit over the feet of the vintage dry suit I wear to keep warm. It's a myth that full-foot fins are only designed for hot-climate barefoot wear. My choice suits me, of course, but you have no obligation whatsoever to follow suit, because your priorities will be different from mine. Be wary too of snorkelling fin advice from anybody who predominantly scuba-dives or free-dives, because their fin priorities will be dictated by their main aquatic pursuits. If you're planning to wear footwear for warmth or protection, be sure to take that into account when you try on fins for size. Buying a pair one or two sizes bigger than what would be appropriate barefoot may fulfil your requirements. Fin grips are indeed helpful when securing fins in choppy waters:
.jpg

As for masks, don't limit your choice to a particular model or even make. The first priority is fitting your facial dimensions so that your mask leaks as little as possible, not because leakage is life-threatening, but because constant water in the mask is irritating. Place the mask against your face and breathe in lightly, creating a partial vacuum. If the mask remains on your face without attaching the straps, then you are likely to have found a mask that fits you. You will only be able to tell for sure, however, when you've tried it out in the water with a snorkel attached. As for low or high volume, this does really depend on what you're planning to do while snorkelling. I use an old-fashioned rubber-skirted oval mask, which would probably be considered unfashionably high-volume these days, but it matches my purposes perfectly. A mask with some means of pinching the nose to clear the ears is a good idea. Purge valves are a matter of personal preference.

There are many kinds of snorkels on sale, and if you're unsure what to buy, get a gimmick-free, simple, J-shaped tube. The first snorkels, invented back in the early 1950s, were simple J-shaped tubes and they still work for most of us.

An exposure suit of some kind is a good idea, particularly if the climate gets chilly. There's no reason why snorkelling should be an activity confined to summer seasons in tropical paradises. I snorkel all the year round off the North East coast of England, thanks to my simple vintage drysuit, which provides watertightness while underclothing provides warmth. Most other snorkellers will settle on wetsuits of various thicknesses to give them protection against the cold.

Oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of snorkelling. It's all about having fun, forgetting the trials and tribulations of the day, communing with nature, not about making challenges and breaking records (isn't that what the working day is all about?). This is one of my favourite pictures of a snorkelling family from the mid-1950s:
attachment.php

The caption says it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom