Snorkels and the long-ish hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Am planning to switch to a 4-1/2 / 5 ft hose for my primary regulator. I might do this before an upcoming dive class in which, I suspect, I might be required to keep a snorkel on my mask. Are there any issues with unwinding the long hose off from around your head with a snorkel up there as well. I don't really like diving with a snorkel to begin with, partly because of the clutter and it seems like this might exacerbate that feeling.

Thanks,
Dave

dlwalke:
Am planning to switch to a 4-1/2 / 5 ft hose for my primary regulator. I might do this before an upcoming dive class in which, I suspect, I might be required to keep a snorkel on my mask. Are there any issues with unwinding the long hose off from around your head with a snorkel up there as well. I don't really like diving with a snorkel to begin with, partly because of the clutter and it seems like this might exacerbate that feeling.

Thanks,
Dave

You don't use a snorkle with a long hose, period. There have been quite a few posts on that subject previously.

Outside of PADI OW, I can't think what classes would require you to have a snorkle. I'd tell 'em to stick it.

Anyway, snorkle is not DIR and that's the forum you posted in.

MD

dlwalke:

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

One of the fundamental tenants of DIR is that if it isn't needed you don't take it. Snorkels are for snorkeler's. If, for some less then well-thought out reason, you find yourself in a position to satisfy local ordinaces and/or class standards, buy yourself one of those collapsable snorkels, fold it up and leave it in your pocket.

As you correctly note, deployment of your primary hose during an OOA emergency will be compromised because of an equipment item that has no business being there in the first place. This is a classic example of attempting to pick and choose parts of a holisitic system and applying them in an ad hoc fashion.

On a different note, if as a class requirement you are being required to use a snorkel you may want to consider what other part of the class is equally less then well-thought out.

Regards,

Michael Kane

You said you are thinking of getting a 4 1/2' or 5' hose. Do yourself a favor and get the 7' hose.

The 5' hose tends to "float" around your head. It also interferes with access to the right hand D ring. At least that was my experience. The 7' hose can be secured to keep it flush against your body and out of the way.

dlwalke:

Thanks,
Dave

Dave ... have you discussed this with the class instructor yet? The wording of your post suggests that you haven't. I would recommend you do so.

Explain that the hogarthian setup is the way you prefer to dive, and that using that method a snorkel goes from being a piece of safety equipment to becoming a safety liability, and that you would prefer not to wear one.

If they insist, ask why. If the answer is simply "because it's required", then you need to think about your diving goals, and whether or not this class is compatible with those goals.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

dlwalke:

Thanks,
Dave
I would suggest that you consider a 7ft hose. I know that 2 extra feet seems like a lot, but I assure you that the length is quite managable. The extra room a 7ft hose provides during an OOG emergency is nice.

You may want to reconsider taking a class that requires you to wear a snorkel while diving. That's a big warning sign in my opinion...

As stated in the other posts, it is not DIR. That said, even before I was DIR I ditched the snorkel. In my opinion they are pretty much useless for almost all types of dives. They only serve to get in the way of your hoses or D-Rings and are a definite entanglement hazard. As stated by MHK, snorkels are for snorkelers.

If your dive instructor is insisting that you have one based on the status quo, then find a new instructor.

I am currently talking my divemaster course, and I discussed this with my instructor. I said I'll carry it, but dont want to wear it and explained about how I donate air with long hose... No problems here. Once I get to being a DM in courses, we'll see how it goes. I suspect that will be a new battle. Maybe it's time the organizations look at why you need a snorkel to scuba dive?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom