snorkels ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Dan the Scuba Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
who uses them and why... I have one because i was trained that way... but i was looking in a few mag's and a few pictures in diveshops and 50% of them arn't wearing the snorkels...

I use my snorkle when I go SNORKELING. SNORKELING has nothing to do with Scuba.

The only reason to wear one with dive gear is if you've got a long face down surface swim to do. Otherwise it's just something else to get in the way.

I see "new" divers wearing them all the time because they still teach the "you've got to wear a snorkel" in the class. I guess that's why they teach NO-MOF, so the snorkle won't hit you in the eye when you are MOF.

Snorkels are great for snorkeling, but I have no clue why the certification agencies push them as a class requirement for all dives.

I carry a collapsible one in pocket of BCD. The only times I use it is when the surface is choppy. Usually I swim backwards with face out of the water so it's not really necessary.

Cheers.

-J.-

i dont carry or use one, though i have two, they stay in my dive bag were they belong!!! i really cant stand having a snorkel on my mask, it limits me from free movement:D

Jim ernst...Don't mean to call you out buddy...but is that a snorkel you're wearing in your avatar? kekekekkekek...:)

Actually, that's a slightly different question, since it asked who does NOT use them. Looks like I may be in the minority here, at least among those speaking out (which is not unusual), but here goes. I wear mine all the time. Sole exception: diving cenotes in the Yucatan. They tell you to leave it behind and it doesn't make sense to take it. Unlike other people, the snorkel doesn't really bother me. I don't find that it gets in the way and I don't tend to grab it instead of the power inflator (I have other stupid human tricks). I use it a lot. I find it is generally more comfortable to use on the surface than a reg, and I generally keep either the snorkel or the reg in my mouth until I am back on the boat. I suppose it saves a little air, but that is not really the point. I use it swimming from the stern to the bow of the boat on moored dives (particularly in the Great Lakes) and often use it when I am waiting to climb the ladder. I guess I was taught to use it, I have to use it when I teach, so it is just a natural part of diving for me and I find it useful.

aznlmpulse:
Jim ernst...Don't mean to call you out buddy...but is that a snorkel you're wearing in your avatar? kekekekkekek...:)
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol: , i knew someone would see that, lol, just after i posted i looked at my avtar and noticed it, well............ yes it is,lol, but that picture was taken a LONG TIME ago when i thought the scuba police would get me,lol, but i truley do not even get mine out of my dive bag anymore and i have not used one (except for teaching) in a very long time!!!!:D

I use one all the time when I beach dive, float on my back and kick out to where I want to go. On boat dives I just consider them survival gear like a sausage and whistle, seldom use them but good to know they're there in case I lose the boat.

Ditto, what Don and Dennis posted above. As a working DM, I use my snorkel at the surface a lot. It's a tool...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom