snorkles - quote from sport diver magazine....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
thought this was funny...

great for snorkling and skin diving....nothing else.

It's moderately less embarrassing to turn up on a scuba trip with waxed legs and painted toe-nails.
Snorkles bang around on the side of your head,intefere with reg deployment,break mask straps,tangle up long hair and have roughly the same work of breathing as sucking Polyfilla through an empty biro.

Suck polyfilla through an empty biro? I'd sooner suck spackle through a straw. US Navy Seals frequently wax their legs and paint their toenails when on holiday. SAS officers begin doing so at prep school. It's compulsory in the lower forms.

thought this was funny...

What North American readers should likely understand is that you were probably reading your local version of Sport Diver UK, which has a decidedly different take on that which is gospel over this side of the pond.

In that you were reading in some local dialectic of English, allow me to translate to those of us who speak United States: Like sucking spackle through a ball point pen.

I am eagerly awaiting my monthly mailed-in copy of that real PADI publication.

Ive put my snorkel in a very prestigious place.....right next to my horse collar.

I always dive with a snorkel. Just not attached to my mask.

I've considered putting a screen in mine (if I can find it) and donating it to the nearest Crack House.

When I first learned to dive in 05, my instructor spent a few minutes on the use of the snorkel. He then said take it off and throw it to the side of the pool. You'll never use it again. I've stopped packing ours on trips.

Context is everything. If you only dive off a boat and expect it to be where you left it I can see not needing a snorkel, or if you are in a cave. However, there are times when a snorkel can be quite beneficial. One of my more favorite rigs when soloing is a J valved single tank, horse collar, one second stage and a snorkel.

robosock005.jpg

I prefer the basic style though.

Picture048.jpg

and of course, when not in use, I have my dive wench carry it for me.

Picture050.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom