So, am I officially a Swamper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa0825

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Twin Lakes on Sunday... I didn't stay in long, but DAMN it was COLD!!!!! My bod felt fine in the 7mm, but I haven't worn a hood before, and it felt really uncomfortable to me. Probably part constriction and part feeling like a cross between a mummy and Gumby! So, I went in for three short dives, just to get under and swim around a bit. I swear once I swam about 10 yards, my scalp started to freeze! Today my face looks like I spent a day on the beach in August, as opposed to a lake in February! Thank god for full coverage makeup!LOL!

Big thank yous to the guys for letting me tag along (PacketSniffer, ZenDiver, Dee & Beast) and HUGE thank yous to SassyRabbit for giving me a mini-class in bouyancy! She coached me from the platform, helped me figure out proper weighting and breathing, watched my form and gave me tips to work on. I may not have stayed down long, but I definitely felt like I learned a bunch!

Welcome to another 'official' SWAMPER!!!!

Congrats. I was there the previous week so I feel your pain. I told you to wait, didn't I? :D

A hood can take getting used to, presuming it fits right in the first place. It should not be so tight as to strangle and squeeze you. I prefer the hooded vests that you can tuck under the suit (when really cold) or overlap on top of it.

Some people have trouble clearing with a hood. Fortunately not a problem for me, but it helps to pull the hood open to let a little water in when clearing. The think I dislike is the loss of hearing on the surface. I might cut little ear holes in mine.

Make sure you always take along your facial moisturizer! Don't know how cold your water was but once you get in the 50's and below it really dries your skin.
Ber :lilbunny:

Lisa -

You did a great job. It WAS really cold - so cold that I refused to get in!! When it warms up a bit, I'll go with you to do a few more practice runs... er... uh.... dives.

Ber Rabbit:
Make sure you always take along your facial moisturizer! Don't know how cold your water was but once you get in the 50's and below it really dries your skin.
Ber :lilbunny:

Moisturizer....That's a really good tip ! Thanks

'And I thought it was just all the beer we drank afterwards that dried me out :D

Congratulations Lisa. Welcome to the swamp. It's not always easy being green.

Willie

Congratulations, Lisa! I shall add you to the lineup... :D

Welcome to the Swamp, Lisa!!!

Hope you can make a run up to see the Northern Clan sometime!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom