So Cal Alert Farnsworth on the Sundiver this Sunday 18 February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurel, we will miss having you on the trip. We also no longer have an Entertainment Director Tevis. Is anyone participating in the post-dive wine tasting party on way back. I hate to drink alone. :)

Kevin

Looks like everything is coming together. It will be great meeting everybody. I got my temporary certificate this afternoon and rented some equipment from SC, so I am all set.

Kevfin:
Looks like everything is coming together. It will be great meeting everybody. I got my temporary certificate this afternoon and rented some equipment from SC, so I am all set.
I sure hope someone at SC remembered to rent you the special edition Farnsworth Banks Snorkle: It's about 30" long...'cause this IS a pretty deep dive site :14: .

And you'll want the streamlined spareAir zip-tied to your ankle.

Remember, there's no skill deficit so large that you can't use equipment to overcome it :D .

You go, guy!!!! We're right behind you!!! :rofl3:

'Chica

(You're Ready, Master Pool Diver! Because 10 dives in a 10-foot pool is pretty much the same as diving to 100. I mean, c'mon... how hard can this be?)

It was a GORGEOUS day out on the water on the leeward side today. If this weather holds, you all should have a fantastic day out there!

and so the addiction begins... have a great time!

Kevfin:

Hey Tevis....
Thanks for a great trip today!
Yipee! We made it to Farnsworth!
You are the ultimate dive sherpa.
Just don't eat all that candy in one sitting. You'll never sleep tonight.
It was nice meeting you Scubaboarders too.

See ya again soon.
Kevin

drbill:
It was a GORGEOUS day out on the water on the leeward side today. If this weather holds, you all should have a fantastic day out there!

Well, the weather didn't hold all day, but we still had a great dive at Farnswoth, then 2 on the leeward side. Kudo's to Tevis for setting this up and being our sherpa, and thanks to everyone for making this a great trip. I was a pleasure finally meeting everyone in person. Even the bumpy ride home didn't put a damper on the day.

Yeah, bummer on the weather. Our first dive (Twin Rocks) was gorgeous topside... warm (no, hot) sun. Then we hit Isthmus Reef and the clouds were coming in on a fairly strong wind. Finally at the third site (Torqua Springs) things were all clouded up either by bay rays feeding or new students practicing their buoyancy.

GLAD you guys got out there and had a good day of it!!! Where did you dive on the leeward side?

We dove Eagle's Nest, then Indian Rock. Conditions were very nice at both sites. The ride back was a roller coaster. Big swell, water coming over the bow at times. The conditions at Farnsworth were also very good, but turned for the worse as we concluded our first dive. My first time at Farnsworth - awesome site.
Kevin

Any of you who know me well know I've been trying for about 4 or 5 years to get to Farnsworth Banks. Until Sunday, I was a perfect 0 for 4 on dedicated FB trips, and a perfect 0 for 1 on a FB add-on. So my total is 0 for 5.

Nice.

But on Sunday, I was on the right boat at the right time. Cap't Ray comes through big time, puts us on a great pinnacle. With no camera :( (I get the housing back tomorrow...) I was able to make a perfect dive on Farnsworth on a day with 50+ viz.

About BareFoot Blue
But as anyone knows, the best trips and the best parties aren't about location, or the attendees - they're about the host. And once again, I gotta pour mad lovin' on BareFoot Blue. :10:

These guys cast and host a great trip. Both of the BFB charters I have been on have been excellent trips. Both took me to sites I've either never been to or rarely get to on the other "open" SoCal boats. BFB trips have been all inclusive affairs - loaded with great food, above average divers and lots o' fun! Drama free, stress free, excellent sites, great hang - the BFB gang just know how to deliver a good time.

These guys are going to change the way discriminating divers dive in SoCal - I can't be strong enough about this: If you have the opportunity to get onto one of their trips (no easy manner, and each one has sold out with the limited loads and great destinations they're offering) you will not regret it. No club dues to pay, no inflated dive shop prices, no cattle boating. We're Clients to BareFoot Blue, not just customers. You will feel the difference.

What the heck is this thing?
On dive #2 (Eagles Nest, I believe was the site) on this Sunday trip, I stumbled onto this cool shell.

I managed to carry it around for about 45 minutes on the dive, AND get it back onto the boat, AND get it home without crushing it into a zillion pieces - a big deal for me, as I'm a complete klutz.

Claudette ID'ed this as some sort of small Nautilus shell. Far be it for me to doubt, as she's much smarter than I am - but I'd like to take it a step further. Can anyone tell me what type of Nautilus, or point me to a good resource for reverse engineering shells and shell fragments like this one?

Its about 2" all the way around. If you need CM, do the math...

Thanks!

Ken

74583917.QaGkTUwA.jpg

74583919.cGDT6W30.jpg

74583920.zl6TGQ2j.jpg

74583921.NvYDx6gh.jpg

ScubaBoard hates PBase. Whatever. If you get the Red X of Death, just right click and select "show photograph" and it should show up. If not, just hit f5 to reload the page, and right click again.

Back
Top Bottom