Question So I'm 65 and on medicare which will not cover a physical. What do older divers do for the required physical? How extensive should it be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am of the opinion that the more distance between me and doctors the better. Dentist four times a year for teeth cleaning, eye exam once in a great while for new glasses. But unless I have something like a broken bone sticking out of my leg (happened) or something like that needing more than a bandaid, no docs for me. No prescription medicine either. So, no, I have never had a dive physical. I have had flight physicals but now that there is self certification I am gong that route.

My once-a-year physical is enough and I'm 66. I don't need a diving doctor unless I feel I have a dive-related injury.

I still believe there's a difference between a doctor certifying that someone is fit to dive vs simply stating that they are unaware of any reason why they shouldn't dive.

I guess the relevance to this thread is that a full physical exam might reveal a condition that a basic "wellness" exam would not..
The RSTC form states "Approved - I find no conditions that I consider incompatible with recreational scuba diving or freediving"

It's splitting hair, but the law often is. It does not mean I'm necessarily fit to dive, just that the doctor does not fond anything incompatible with diving. My Dr. was pretty chill about it. I'm 63 with T2D. He checked the form to make sure I ticked the boxes matching my conditions. Ask ed me if I was new to diving. I told him I've been diving for a long time with no issues. He signed it.

I noted that the OP expressed Concern that medicare wouldn't pay for his Diving physical.

I'm very much of the opinionThat people are too Paralyzed by what insurance will or will not pay for.

For the love of Pete, if I need a physical And insurance won't pay for it I'll pay for it Out-of-pocket if I really want that physical.

We really need to stop abdicating our own responsibilities to somebody else just because they offer pay for it.

One of the challenges for those starting out in their 60s is that you may only have the minimum fitness level to pass the OW training. Unfortunately, and depending on a number of factors including where you get certified, this may not prepare you for current, cold water, etc, etc.

Having realistic expectations for diving and looking after yourself are really important. And yes, see your GP on a regular basis, be transparent about your diving and listen to their advice.

I'm 65+ and not diving as much as I would like to. But I know and accept that I can not do the type the diving I did 15 years ago.

I noted that the OP expressed Concern that medicare wouldn't pay for his Diving physical.
This was stated in different terms earlier....

I will have my annual Medicare medical review this coming week, fully paid for by Medicare. When I schedule it each year, my doctor's office calls it a physical. I have no idea what the difference is. I suspect they don't, either.

The one test that is very worthwhile is a check for a PFO. I'm wondering how to get medicare to spring for that one?

The one test that is very worthwhile is a check for a PFO. I'm wondering how to get medicare to spring for that one?

DAN disagree.

“ Routine screening for PFO at the time of dive medical fitness assessment (either initial or periodic) is not indicated. Consideration should be given to testing for PFO when there is a history of more than one episode of decompression sickness (DCS) with cerebral, spinal, vestibulocochlear or cutaneous manifestations.”

I’m not generally a fan of screening exams that fail to show a reduction in all cause mortality, or at least morbidity, lest the medical system is just finding a way to make patients out of healthy people.

DAN disagree.

“ Routine screening for PFO at the time of dive medical fitness assessment (either initial or periodic) is not indicated. Consideration should be given to testing for PFO when there is a history of more than one episode of decompression sickness (DCS) with cerebral, spinal, vestibulocochlear or cutaneous manifestations.”

I’m not generally a fan of screening exams that fail to show a reduction in all cause mortality, or at least morbidity, lest the medical system is just finding a way to make patients out of healthy people.
My reason for doing it is to not have any, or especially more than one, un-deserved DCS hits. I would rather know up front so if there is a PFO I can spend the money getting it taken care of rather than a couple rides in the chamber. Just me.

My reason for doing it is to not have any, or especially more than one, un-deserved DCS hits. I would rather know up front so if there is a PFO I can spend the money getting it taken care of rather than a couple rides in the chamber. Just me.

While that sounds reasonable, it is also possible that the screening finds another “issue” that you didn’t know you have, is quite possibly not clinically significant, but now it’s found ropes you into additional testing and treatment that you never would have received if you didn’t look, and quite possibly never would have needed.

In short, don’t ask questions you don’t want answers to. I find the longer I practice, the less I want to test just for the sake of testing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom