So just what is a Divemaster ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beachman

Reaction score
Admitedly this is sort of a trick question because we all know what the certification means. I'm really interested in how folks really use their training.

In my case, I became a Divemaster simply as a means to continue my dive training. Of course I knew it was sort of a "professional path" step to Instructor, but the next year when I was deciding on additional training I just couldn't see myself freezing on my knees in a pool demostrating skills or leading a group of students on a tour of old cars in a quarry as an Instructor. I definitely was not a good candidate to DM and pick up for an ex-military type Instructor trying to relive his days of being in charge of a group of recruits by teaching diving.

Then I discovered that being a divemaster on a boat is what I really love.....the interaction with other divers, tieing off and releasing the hook, the briefings and assisting other divers enjoy the trip, the high fiving and conversation with folks from everywhere, sharing dive experiences, guiding and showing folks the neat stuff, an occasional rescue, just being on the boat as a mate ......that's what it's all about for me.

On top of that, I get to dive a lot while working the boat. And when I'm not working I can dive for free! (I get about 175 dives a year and only pay for 15 - 20 on vacations.) I'm retired and work 4 days a week, 2 days each for two operations to give the regular staff a day or two off.

It seems to me that there ought to be a specialized certification for "Divemaster/ Mate" or something to diferentiate and add training (as it relates to working on a dive boat) that is only a small portion of the standard Divemaster certification. Of course, it would have to contain a lot of training in lugging tanks to and from the shack, filling tanks, maintaining rental gear,washing the boat down, etc., etc.

Any other "non-professional" divers on this board using their Divemaster training for something other than assisting instructors?

I DM for classes. I pick and choose the Instructors I work with carefully. My DM cert doesn't make me free game for grunt work to just any Ins. who has to have a DM along to meet the standards, which is how some of them view us. My name and responsibilities are connected to the certifications given so I only work with Ins. who I feel are teaching as they should, over and beyond what is expected.

If I lived anywhere close to the ocean, I think I would enjoy DM'ing on a boat. You're right, there is alot more to DM'ing on a boat that isn't covered...at least it's not in my area.

DM'ing is not for everyone, whether you work classes or charters.

Yes I am the same as you - I don't like assisting an instructor esp: the jr ones and I have no patience for helping people overcome their precived diving fears - thats for instructors. My passion is for taking experenced divers on trips that SAFELY push their limits and introduce them to types of dives that they may have not done before - and again I state again SAFELY. For this the DM rating is a usefull tool. I work and dive closly with an instructor and always encourage other divers if they are keen to talk about possible courses.

And again SAFELY so before you jump up and start going on about push their limits - it is not the same as push beyond their limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom