So that's why everyone likes diving SoCal!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ligersandtions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I just started diving in June....got certified in Cozumel and came back and wanted to try diving in socal. We've done a number of shore dives and haven't had the greatest luck....first one had a long surface swim, bad visibility, some not so great navigation skills (didn't make it to the reef), and poor air consumption. The following shore dives were a bit better, however the coolest thing we found was some sand....which led me to wonder "is the really anything to see in socal???"

Fast forward to this weekend, when we did our first boat dive in Catalina, and I was like "wow, so this is why everyone likes diving here!" Pretty good visibility, super cool kelp forests, and lots of neat creatures (including a couple sharks, some garibaldi, and lobsters). I'm sure as we get better at diving, navigating, and seeing things, we'll notice even more neat stuff!

So I just wanted to say that diving in socal is quite cool....and from everything I've read, it will only get better as winter comes, so bring it on! :D

Last edited:
SoCal diving is amazing in its own right. The one thing I appreciate about diving here is the diversity. Most dives yield something new, rare and beautiful. Don’t get me wrong, I love diving in the warm waters of the tropics, but even after a nice warm water trip, I still look forward to returning to our local venues.

Winter diving here is terrific, great vis and fewer divers. Priceless.

What Dave said:D

From dive spot to dive spot it is so diverse. Don't let the times when the vis is bad, get you down. When it is good, it well worth, the couple questional dives before. I try to do 1 or 2 boat dives a month, just for the change, but Beach diving is my favorite.

SoCAL and its giant kelp forest are terrific diving. Beach dives as you have learned require you to be in good physical condition. Shore diving will help you get into good physical condition. The surface swim will be long on most shore dives. The visibility will be 5-20 feet with 10-15 being the normal range. Some days will be less, some rare days will be 30 to 40 feet off the mainland beaches. But you learn to adapt. If the visibility is 20 feet, you look at big stuff and enjoy it. If the visibility is 5 feet you look at small stuff.

Navigation is a critical skill anyplace you dive. You need to be able to get back to the boat or the beach you left.

The islands off our coast offer some excellent diving and better visibility usually, but not always.

Bottom line, it is better than staying dry and it is what we have. So between warm water dives, dive SoCal often. I have dove with divers from Europe who came on a dive vacation to see our kelp forest.

Yeah, we've got to figure out the shore diving a little more. So far we've found a good amount of sand and not much else :dork2:

But I've seen great pictures from people on shore dives, so I know there's cool stuff out there! One of these days, I'm gonna get out there with the BC's (as long as they don't mind me being a noob!)....but this summer has been so busy that I just haven't had the chance. Between my wedding, multiple other weddings, motorcycle track days, and other random plans, I just haven't had a free weekend yet.

And unfortunately night diving may be out of the question as we live 40-50 miles away from the nearest dive site....and that gets me to bed too late to get up for a 4am workout!

Yeah, we've got to figure out the shore diving a little more. So far we've found a good amount of sand and not much else :dork2:

But I've seen great pictures from people on shore dives, so I know there's cool stuff out there! One of these days, I'm gonna get out there with the BC's (as long as they don't mind me being a noob!)....but this summer has been so busy that I just haven't had the chance. Between my wedding, multiple other weddings, motorcycle track days, and other random plans, I just haven't had a free weekend yet.

And unfortunately night diving may be out of the question as we live 40-50 miles away from the nearest dive site....and that gets me to bed too late to get up for a 4am workout!

"Noobs" are welcome:wink:

Any time you want to go out with us is fine. I do suggest asking the BC's with a little more experience, if they will be at certain dives. That way you will be with someone that knows the site, and may offer you a some helpful info.

I hope to see you out there soon,
Rick

ligersandtions,
Anytime you want to beach dive, give me a shout by pm and we will set up something.

Sweet, you guys are awesome! :D

We're diving in the PNW two weekends from now, doing AOW the following two weekends, but then September is all free, and we should be feeling a bit more confident! So I will definitely plan on taking you up on your offers (BC's and pasley)!

Just in time for the fall! Autumn is considered the best time do dive SoCal waters.

Based on my personal experience, I have averaged better dives in the Laguna area than everywhere else, specifically Crescent Bay. Usually short surface swims, reasonable clarity, lots of structural variety, critters (maybe the best site for sea lion encounters on a beach dive), easier access than many, bathroom with showers, nearby dive shop, and places to eat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom