So this is my first gear purchase...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ripster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Yes I am a newb, I finished my padi open water with drysuit last week, and signed up for advanced open water for the next two weeks. This is the gear that I bought today:

atomic frameless mask, clear skirt (I tried the black skirt, but it the peripheral really annoyed me, i need light :)
rocket 2 fins with XS spring straps
aqualung impulse snorkel
princeton tec shockwave led primary light
wenoka knife
uk4aa secondary light
aqualung 5mm gloves

Flame away!

I love my princeton light already, shining it on drunk people from the 20th story balcony of my building, like a helicopter searchlight lol.

You'll love the spring straps. I don't know why anybody makes fins without them, personally!

You'll love the spring straps. I don't know why anybody makes fins without them, personally!

I was kinda wondering that myself. Fins should come with them, but hey, I guess some people still like the challenge to save a few bucks :)

Welcome to SB Ripster! It sounds like you are on your way to Scuba bliss! One thing I love about diving is there infinite gear choices to explore. If you still have the black skirted Atomic do not get rid of it just yet. I to started with clear skirt but switched to black after a while the light refraction got to me. Sounds weird but true. It is a awesome sport and I want to encourage you to train and dive as much as you can. This forum can be a valuable resource and wealth of knowledge. There can be a little ribbing here and there but there are some very good people who care and have your best interests in mind. Good luck and have fun exploring and continuing your dive training!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

If you still have the black skirted Atomic do not get rid of it just yet. I to started with clear skirt but switched to black after a while the light refraction got to me.
Ideally, a frameless mask should be so low volume that the difference in light between a clear and black skirt should be virtually unnoticeable. But, there is the matter of personal perception and preference and CamG makes a good point. Another advantage that some report with a black skirt is the ability to more easily find the mask on the bottom if it is dropped. Can't tell from your post if you own your own drysuit already. If not, that should be an early (and expensive) purchase. If you do, start saving for a can light.

Back
Top Bottom