So we're thinking of moving to Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been looking at real estate , and I don't see the rediculously high prices some of you have been describing. That is, seems like there are still some decent buys out there, even on the water.

Take these 3, for example:
http://www.floridamoves.com/propert...ertyguid=015976ff-b071-4778-8fa4-1de73723486e

http://www.floridamoves.com/propert...page=2&cc=0&PropSearch=0&MinPrice=0&MinBath=0

http://www.floridamoves.com/propert...ertyguid=fcc2233b-a719-461f-96f4-b9ed58649fc2

They're fairly small, but seem decent. Am I missing something? Is there something to look out for?

Well, if you were down here looking to move to Bristol, I could send you some knockout pictures of Davis Drive, but how thrilled would you be with the reality of that? There's lots of decent buys down here - all over the state - but some of them require that you be in the first wave of upgraders to the area. Lake Worth used to be the pits, but now it's coming on strong. People bought fixer-uppers in West Palm Beach for $85K - lousy neighborhoods - a few years ago and now they're worth in the lower $200k's on up.
In my neighborhood in Boca, a little 1400 sq ft POS house with a shot roof, major structural damage inside, a HUGE banyan tree covering the front yard, no pool or garage went for $465K in ONE DAY. I was looking for a fixer-upper in the lower $200K's to live in while I upgrade my house, and there are NONE anymore remotely near me.
So depending on where you're looking to live, you can find stuff - just like anywhere else. Good luck with your snow. I haven't been up to Bristol for over a year now thankfully, and I'm dreading when I finally have to go back up there.

Ahh, gotcha -- figured it'd be something like that.

Next time you come up to Bristol let me know -- we can hook up for a beer or a dive or something. Who'd you dive with when you were up here?

I think Tampa offers good value for the money. The FMCC MSA is also one of the better bargains. I'm thinking of buying some rental properties in west coastal areas. That said, you're missing some of the nuances of how water affects property values. The driving force is the quality of boating access: draft, bridges, canal width, time to open water, salt vs. fresh water, just some of the variables to consider. All three of the properties you selected are "waterfront", but I don't think any of them have good boating access. My comments are based on looking at a map, so anyone with knowledge of the specific areas, correct me if I'm wrong. The Harbour property appears to be on a canal, but where does it go? Its several miles from the ocean, and there are major roadways that need to be navagatable. You'd want to verify that it is a boating canal, and that it leads to a body of water. The second property doesn't have an address. The Ranchwood property may be on a small lake, but does it go anywhere? Do they even allow boats on it? You'd want to verify that it isn't essentially just a manmade pond.

Tampa is a good choice, its a balanced area. SWFL, dont even consider.. SE FL is pricey to. Also, a little recon to an area would be well advised. Aside from what a broker has up for sale you may find some For Sale By Owner.

Windminstrel:
Thanks for all the input, folks -- just goes to show that you Floridians are a durned sight nicer than New Englanders!

I figured that out when I went back to MA for my parent's 50th. I'm aclimated to the laid back Florida life style.... so, I can't handle the NE attitude any more. So... I'll just stay down here...

ReefGuy:
That's honestly what I was hoping. Didn't happen. Real estate prices have gone through the roof since the hurricanes. It seems like the snowbirds came with a vengance this year. More of them and earlier. It's almost like the hurricanes did nothing but put us on the map.

Part of the reason of for the hike after the huricanes was the rush of people trying to get building permits for repairs. This created a back log in city and county building departments that casued delays in permits and inspections of new homes. As a result more buyers were forced to buy existing homes instead of new construction. So it was a mater of supply and demand.

Actually, the sale of existing homes all but stopped in the days after the hurricane, due to the fact that almost all homes had damage, and mortgage companies weren't going to lend money for damaged homes. That eased up after a month or two, but still, there's quite a waiting line for home repair on existing sites and a shortage of materials (although I believe that's easing too).

S. Cal 2 SE FL:
Part of the reason of for the hike after the huricanes was the rush of people trying to get building permits for repairs. This created a back log in city and county building departments that casued delays in permits and inspections of new homes. As a result more buyers were forced to buy existing homes instead of new construction. So it was a mater of supply and demand.

Now you are scareing me as My wife and I are moving to Sarasota in 3 weeks from York PA. I too am an IT guy although a Network Administrator not a Programer. We can't stand the Winter any more. The thought of living near Year Round diving is just too seductive so here we come. My wife works in the medical field so I could just let her support me.....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom