So, what is it like living in the keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie, no offense, but your first post seems a little harsh. "Come on down, have fun, give us all your money, lose everything and then GTFO" is basically how I read that. I understand that there must be a LOT of turn over in housing from people going into this with eyes closed and no planning, but not everyone does that. From your post I assume you were born in Key West, and you yourself didn't migrate there?

None taken. I was absolutely shocked when I moved my charter boat here from Houston in 2008. The locals are very welcoming, they've seen us carpetbaggers come and go. I find the locals attitude to be come, bring your cash, and when you are empty, hey, thanks for coming.

As trtldvr mentioned, this is a very small town, with all of the good things and bad things that go with that. The good includes all the locals knowing each other. The bad is that if you aren't from here, you just aren't from here. I grew up in Maine, and the attitude there is exactly the same.

Anyone coming here to live can't afford to compete with the Ed Swifts or the Michael Reckworts of Key West. These guys are the deal makers, the guys who work behind the scenes and make the county work. If you aren't one of them, you just aren't one of them.

If my post was harsh, it's because I see folks come down here thinking that if they work hard, and be honest, they will be rewarded. They leave on the Trailways.

Common sense says that you first find a job before pulling the trigger and moving down there (though I'm sure not everyone follows that reasoning).

So far, everyone is talking about Key West. What about the other Keys? When I leave Washington DC, Marathon is one of my top choices to relocate to. My agency does have a station there, and still make low-six figures. Will that be enough to live comfortably (or reasonably)? I guess my biggest concern is going stir-crazy.

We were considering a similar course, but we'd probably keep our house here and do something along the lines of Wookie's suggestion of renting it out for part of the year.

Last edited:
Wookie,

I see your point. We're not going into this with eyes closed by any means. I'm 41 now we've been working a 10-year plan since last year. If it happens, it happens. If I have to do FLL or the likes, then so be it, but Marathon-ish area is the dream for us.

Just saw you are with the Spree - been looking at both the Fling and the Spree for next summer, but working this plan the way we are doesn't leave a lot of wriggle room for vacations. We actually have a group looking at doing a "locals" trip down on your boat summer 2013.

Anyone have any advice on the insurance side of things in the Keys?

I will chime in. We moved here 7 years ago and it is the best move we ever made(Islamorada)!
There is no crime to speak of
No traffic and no pollution.
The schools are good.
Local govt for the most part is responsive to your needs
The workers(mechanic,boat car,home repair and landscaping) take pride in their work and give you a fair price.
This does come thru trial and error and after many experiences of people not showing up and just being lazy.
The diving in our backyard is world class! See some of the pix of the divers who live here.
The weather is great even in the hot humid summer(great diving conditions)

People are friendly and generally very helpful.

The bad. if you have to work, high paying jobs are hard to come by unless you travel to Miami.
No big box stores so items are limited.
Housing is expensive, except right now in this rotten economy they are relatively "cheap"
Taxes are very low but insurance is very expensive
Until you find reliable craftsman you will be very frustrated here.

My 2 cents

Florida vehicle insurance is cheaper in Monroe county (the keys) than in Harris County (Houston). I can't get a health care plan that matches the one I had in Texas for any price. It just isn't offered in Florida. I live on a boat, so I am expected to leave, not need flood or windstorm...... :)

Wookie, can I rent a room for more than a week?

My dream would be a liveaboard where I could come and go if needed. Problem is - wife couldn't handle the tight quarters. No way, no sir.:D

Some of the property values we are looking at - wow. I look at the history and can't beleive how much the $$ has fallen. Now is the time to buy it seems.

---------- Post Merged at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Being an amputee, health care / health insurance is kind of important to me... prosthetics are expensive!

I will chime in. We moved here 7 years ago and it is the best move we ever made(Islamorada)!
There is no crime to speak of
No traffic and no pollution.
The schools are good.
Local govt for the most part is responsive to your needs
The workers(mechanic,boat car,home repair and landscaping) take pride in their work and give you a fair price.
This does come thru trial and error and after many experiences of people not showing up and just being lazy.
The diving in our backyard is world class! See some of the pix of the divers who live here.
The weather is great even in the hot humid summer(great diving conditions)

People are friendly and generally very helpful.

The bad. if you have to work, high paying jobs are hard to come by unless you travel to Miami.
No big box stores so items are limited.
Housing is expensive, except right now in this rotten economy they are relatively "cheap"
Taxes are very low but insurance is very expensive
Until you find reliable craftsman you will be very frustrated here.

My 2 cents

Wow, I see something completely different

There are 2 or 3 drug raids per week on Stock Island. We have a homeless shelter. Things go missing all the time.
It takes an hour to get out of Key West at rush hour. Granted, we have major construction going on. Islamorada traffic makes me insane with 4 and 5 lanes and a 45 mph speed limit. That's my problem, however.
The schools turn out substandard students. I have 3 friends who teach middle and high school in Marathon, and 4 in Key West. The parents take no responsibility for their kids educations.
The local government is corrupt and make back alley deals constantly. Kick one out, another takes their place. Building permits are granted in offices behind closed doors and the price varies on your ability to carry Franklins.
The workers show up when they want to, sometimes weeks late, sometimes never. They start at 9:30 and knock off at 4:30. Good luck trying to get a weekend craftsman. The Detroit Mechanic (a dying breed) charges $160 per hour. I paid $55 in Houston. I fly my Houston mechanic here, he does a better job. The machine shop charges $120 for a machinist and $110 for a welder. The machinist in Houston was $85. I would have no beef with the welder, except he won't work without a helper. He charges $90.
You have it right about the diving and the weather. It offsets all of the rest.
If you want a high paying job, drive a sprayer truck for the Mosquito control board. They are paid 6 figures. 6 figures.
Not having a Wally World is another bonus as far as I'm concerned.
Again, I've owned houses in Idaho and Houston. The price of housing makes me choke. Maybe I'm naive.
Taxes do seem low. I paid over $5k per year in Houston on a $250k house. The same assessment here would be $900. I can't speak about insurance. Here comes Hurricane Sandy.
In Islamorada there is a Handyman named Louis Martucci. He is a true craftsman, and will paint, make the sliders work, and fix the jalousies. I'll get you his number if you need a handyman, he is awesome.

Still, I would never trade the keys for Houston, or any place else unless I went further south. The prices, taxes and living conditions are inherent to island life. I've lived on lots of islands, and none of them are cheap, in any way.

Common sense says that you first find a job before pulling the trigger and moving down there (though I'm sure not everyone follows that reasoning).

So far, everyone is talking about Key West. What about the other Keys? When I leave Washington DC, Marathon is one of my top choices to relocate to. My agency does have a station there, and still make low-six figures. Will that be enough to live comfortably (or reasonably)? I guess my biggest concern is going stir-crazy. While the diving and boating will be great, my other passion is motorcycles. I love riding through the Keys, but every day...:idk:
I wonder if I can get a small house with a garage for my two bikes, a RIB, and Jeep.

:cheers:
Steve

Now if I win the Powerball/Megamillions....Move to the Keys...Open up a bar and buy a dive boat...that would be the life

You'll be fine living in Marathon making in the low 6 figures...if your wife works too.

(jk about the wife working part)
Depending on the industry, finding a job before you move down is difficult. Most places in the "dream job" industries will not even talk to you if you don't have a local address (everyone and their hungover brother-in-law *thinks* they want to move down here). Those that do talk to resident wannabes will flat-out lie to you about giving you a job.

Last edited:
iv'e lived here for 24 years, my parents owned a fishing camp on big pine from 1958 until 74(even went to the old greyhound dog track a few times on stock island) and and i had 2 close friends live on stock island in the late 70's and early 80's attending KWCC. there's been one constant theme in reguards to stock island in my view; it's a borderline shi_hole and not at all represenative and indicative of life in the vast majority of monroe county(althought i hear it's gradually improving). lumping the entire keys chain together is not the real world. it's a dynamic county with pros and cons for each geographic area; upper, middle, lower and key west. it's not utopia here in the keys, but find me a locality in the US that is; especially one where you have easy access to terrific diving and winter temps in the 70-80's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom