So when do we get to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
One of the main reasons I started a dive business was to get to dive more. I am finding that is not going to be the case, unless I start blocking "fun days" for myself.

I thought that finding other Captain's to ride along as additional crew (and dive for free as payment) was a solution, but liability issues arose.

I have been on many boats where the Captain splashed as soon as all the paying divers were back on the boat and safe, leaving the crew in charge. I am sure some of the crew were licensed as well.

What do you guys do? If I take a group of friends (at my expense, no charges) and leave a non-licensed (albeit capable) person topside, can I dive?

If the trip is at your expense with a group of friends that understand that you're not acting as a captain, and at least one is somebody you trust with your boat... Sure, let them hold the fort down while you get a dive in.

Of course on a charter, you would need another captain. But I would imagine up around Morehead you could find a DM with a 6-pack license that wants to get a few dives in during the summer.

-B

I have friends that run fishing boats and now dont get to fish.
A bunch of them get together around twice a month and do what they call a bussmans holiday & go fishing off each others boats taking turns to run the trip.

This link was found from the USCG Office of boating safety.
BoatSafe.com
It says that you can still accept payment for trip "costs" and be considered a non-comercial trip. Before pulling down my liscense I was told just the opposite, that ANY consideration constituted "payment" and the trip would be considered a comercial "for hire" trip.

Although I refused any payments my fuel costs were defrayed a bit when I began finding lost cash tucked in the strangest places. I learned to look in those places after every trip.

So to the point of this thread, can a Captain go diving to inspect that the anchor tackle is secure to the bottom for the safety of his passengers, and to free it before leaving the site if all he has is non-liscensed crew?

When I worked on a liveaboard as an DM/instructor, I got to dive 300-400 times a year. When I got my 100 ton ticket and worked as first mate, I averaged about 150 dives a year. When I was promoted to captain, I got to dive less than 50 times a year. I always had a licensed first mate who could watch the vessel while I was diving, but i was always paranoid of having a mooring line break or other "emergency" when I was in the water, so unless it was a flat calm day with all the divers taking a surface interval, I rarely got in to the water.

Now that I own my own shop, I never get to dive.

We have three captains and two boats (and typically only the larger boat is constantly busy). So, if you're not "Driving" there's always room for you to dive. :D

We also try to plan "crew dives" at least once a month (as the schedule permits). During crew dives, we often invite other local charter operators along for a dive (they have the same problem with never getting to dive).

Also, if I'm just tagging along and diving, I'll often relieve the captain at one of the two dive sites so that we both get a chance to dive.

Back
Top Bottom