So ..Where have you dived?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are some of the better ones in no particular order:

Indonesia (Bunaken, Lembeh)
Cyprus (Zenobia, some sites around Protaras)
Maldives (Bodufinolhu)
Croatia (Split)

I have to say that of those Bunaken, Lembeh and the whole northern coast line for Sulawesi takes the trophy. Bunaken on it's own is really excellent, especially if you like wall dives.

Hi Natasha,

I have dove in: Jamaica, Cuba, Barbados, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba, Curacao, St. Lucia, Dominica, British Virgin Islands, Lake Ontario. (one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong, can you tell me which thing is not like the others before I finish my song).

Didn't log in the 70's or 80's, and memories of those days are getting a bit more foggy these days, but most of those dives were in New York and Vermont lakes, large and small and always cold. Also dived in Mass. and Maine Atlantic (again COLD), with one or two trips during the 80's to Monterey CA and one to NC, both of which back then seemed to be warm water diving to me.

Since the 90's, and logged: Bonaire, Curacao, Turks and Caicos, Belize, St Thomas, Culebra, Cancun, Puerto Rico, Florida, Cozemel and of course still diving those cold waters of Lake George when training. Got to dive the cold waters to really appreciate the warm ones!!!!

Florida Keys: (mulitple trips)
Key Largo
Islamoroda
Key West

Hawaii: (multiple trips)
Maui (about 100 dives over a year I lived there)
Oahu

Mexico:
Cozumel
Zihuatanejo
Cabo San Lucas

Grand Cayman
Little Cayman
Belize
NC quarries

Quarry North Carolina
Panama Florida
Thailand:
Pattaya
Krabi

I have been to Townsville, and Caines, Australia, Numberous places in the Philippines, and Indonesia. I have close dive buddies that have dove Hawaii, the Caribian, and the Great Barrier Reef. And the conclusion is that Okinawa, Japan has to be one of the worlds best dive sites.

And over 200 dives in Tropical Okinawa, Japan
Come to Okinawa for World Class Diving! Some have stated the to corals are better than the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. We have whale sharks, sharks, rays, turtles, caves, and recks. Diving is cheep, visit one of the US MWR facilities one island for cheep rentals. There are over 150 different shore dives you can do on the main island of Okinawa. Yanaguni may be the oldest civilized structure on the planet dated to 10,000 BC only found on Okinawa. We have the USS Emmons a destroyer that was kamakazied during WWII plus 17 other unammed wrecks. You can find WWII ordinace just off shore, I know because I have seen 155mm shells with my own eyes. We have a cave (Hedo Dome) that was inhabited by pre-historic peoples on the north end of the island where the entrance is at 65 feet. Water is 84F in the summer and sites can get 150ft vis (typhoons dependant). The macro for photographers is outstanding with over 1000 nudibranc's, sea fans, and soft corals. We have an style of manatee called the dugoon. Dive with the Whale Shark for $115. Drift dives are out of this world with swift currents that will pass you by sea fans as big as a US car...well I exagerate a little I mean a Japanese car! Dive with the Humpback Whales in March. You can Photograph Sea Horses. For the non diver you can visit the second largest aquarium in the world north of Nago. Jacques Yves Cousteau stated that Okinawa was one of his favorite dive spots.

"From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free."
- Jacques Yves Cousteau -

Hey Guys I just got back from Diving in Thailand. The first two dives were out of Pattaya, Thailand where I dove on an LST-5 a WWII wreck that is a landing craft for US Marines, and Army troops. The boat is about 40' wide and 60' long with a ramp that can lowered to drive trucks on and off the boat. The LST-5 was sitting in 98' of water with 5' vis so it was an advanced dive. Krabi was the location for my next two dives, I saw a 7' Tiger Shark and a Bamboo shark on my first dive and 12 sea horses on my second dive. The vis was about 20' but there were large schools of fish at both sites. There were large sea sponges or barrell corals. I was happy to return to the 150' vis of Okinawa where the sea fans are bigger, and there is more life in the ocean.

Puerto Rico (all over)
St. Thomas
Tortola
Virgen Gorda
St. Martin
Bahamas (Nassau and Abaco)
Aruba
Curacao
South East Florida
Key Largo

Hi Natasha,

I have dove in: Jamaica, Cuba, Barbados, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba, Curacao, St. Lucia, Dominica, British Virgin Islands, Lake Ontario. (one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong, can you tell me which thing is not like the others before I finish my song).

HI There~~
I don't know..Lake Ontario seems a bit out of place. :winky:

I just got back from an Okinawan diving vaction. I left on 17 Jul 08 and flew to Ishigaki, (We stayed in a hotel near the ferry port) but we flew into a typhoon. That afternoon we went to Taketomi where we went searching for star sand. The typhoons in Japan are no problem as all of the buildings in Japan are made of reinforced concrete. That night the typoon passed over us. After Ishigaki we flew to Yonaguni, Japan (on the 19th of Japan) the most western island in Japan just of the coast of Taiwan. I went to dive the ruins of Yonaguni, but due to the recent conditions of the typhoon, SaWes dive shop stated that the sea conditions and the currents were to strong to dive the monument. Instead we dove just outside the port for 3 dives a day for 3 days. We stayed in the penthouse suite of the Irfume hotel on the north side of the Yonaguni. The penthouse had a Japanese bar and the bedrooms in the back. The port is on the north side of the runway. The dive boat the Shota II was a very nice dive boat with an upper deck and entry either giant stride or rolling back entry. On the back of Shota II there are two ladders to climb out on the stern. The visibility was about 20m or 60 feet. Features are the white sand bottom and numberous sea turtles. We also saw a 5' white tip shark.

On the 23rd we flew to back to Ishigaki, and then took the ferry to Iromote Island. The dive shop (Enysea) picked us up at the ferry port and took us to our bed and breakfest (Ihara Guest House). My wife and I thoughly enjoyed the guest house. The diving on Iromote was oustanding with 100' visibility. The first day I dove with 2 large manta rays, that came so close that I could of touched them. Other dives were awsome as well. The dive boat was LaRena and it can hold twenty divers. We had ten divers so it was comfortable. The water temps were 82F to 84F so I did not wear a wet suit. The hard corals were beutiful, and adbundant. The colors of the hard corals are dazzeling. There were many fish, and many caves to explore. The host of our guest house fixed us fresh lobster on the first night and constantly worked to make menu's according to our tastes. Neither my wife nor I speak but a couple of words of Japanese, and we found it easy to change flights, catch cabs, ferrys, and eat with out many language barriers. I feel I would have more problem speaking Spanish in Mexico than speaking Japanese in Japan. The Japanese (divers, hosts, and diveshops) were eager to engage us with there knowledge of English. Okinawa is truely a world class diving location.

Since all 4 branches of the Military dive on Okinawa, and we have dive shops sponsored by US Marine Corps Tsunami Gear, US Airforce Kadena Marina, and US Army Torii Beach Dive Locker, I thought I would share with the rest of the Active, Reserve, National Guard, and Retired some of the many dive sites we have on Okinawa. This list is combination of sites that I have dove, sites listed in Diving Point Map by Okinawa Marine Publications, A Divers Guide by John Chandler, Dive Sites map by Kadena Marina, and Dive Tables Okinawa, Japan by MCCS Marine Corps, SaWes Dive shop Yonaguni, Enysea Dive Shop Iromote, and my personal experiance.

Dive Sites of Okinawa
By Barracuda Smile 2008
From South to North
P Indicates Pacific Side
* Indicates Boat Dive

1. Suicide Cliffs P
2. Channel Crevasses/Ookaigan/John Man Beach
3. Misume *
4. Southern Links
5. Yamashirokaigan #1
6. Yamashirokaigan #2
7. Gushikawjouato****a