So, who carries a pocket mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a pocket mask isn't a paranoia thing but a practicle thing for doing in water rescue breaths. Makes it a whole lot easier to create the seal so the air goes in the lungs and not just blowing someones cheek.

which is different from the shield thing (damn forgotten the name) which is the paranoia thing you're thinking of I think. But then if somone has been damaged and is bleeding round the mouth even if they are clean from viruses I think it would still make the rescue less troublesome - but then I have never tried either way for real.

Jonathan

more O/W Rescues session to get the rescue cert finalized, but we've done in water rescue breaths. We didn't use the Pocket mask, but rather "simulated" the MTM, with the emphasis on the timing and getting out of the rig.

In retrospect, if the situation ever arises, I think I'll do it in a little different order. The rig is coming off "first". Messing around with it while trying to do the rescue breathing took a lot longer than I could have stripped of the BC, and started the breathing & towing.

As for carrying one? It's going to depend on the dive. Cattle boat diving with 20-30 people on warm water vacation, probably not. Just me and my buddy diving on some of the local waters we've talked about, probably will. Remote, altitude, and not much, if any, support.

MIke Ferrara bubbled...

Many divers never take a rescue class. IMO, divers should be given a certain amount of time to get it done and then their cert should be voided.

Maybe not time, but I'd say a certain number of dives. Not everybody can get the experience to be comfortable in a specific time, but after a number of dives~ maybe 50-100~ I would think most responsible divers would want to do it without being required.

It has certainly been the most satisfying of the specialties I've done. (Although we're doing Ice O/W next weekend, and I'm thinking that may rate right up there. Doubt I'll take the mask with me though:confused: ... or the snorkel:bonk:

Hallmac once bubbled...
Apparently during drowings even a small intake of water in to the lungs makes rescue breaths ineffective.

Have you ever seen an autopsy of a typical drowning victim? Most drownings are what they call dry drownings. I know it sounds stupid but bear with me here. When the smallest amount of liquid hits your vocal cords, the natural reaction is to slam shut and hold there as long as the water stays there. That is why people suffocate. Most of the time it isn't until a while after the victim has died that the muscles relax throughout the body and then water seeps into the lungs.

Scubaddawg once bubbled...
Dont leave home without it!!!!

We were in about 40 ft of water , Low Vis, 3-4 ft, 45deg farh. when i noticed airbubbles coming from the corner of my ocean master mask i gave the mask a little twist to see if that would solve the problem...... :eek:hno: NOPE. the left lens popped out an i got a sudden rush of cold water across my face, i closed my eyes and thought ah CRAP.Luckily for me, my buddy :saver: was looking at me doing this and was able to catch the lens before it went bottom of the lake, he grabbed my bc and we acsended, did our stop and then continued to the surface. i now carry a oceanic SHADOW in my BC pocket at all times, nice mask(frameless) compact.

It could have been worse i know, but i know that if things start to go bad, stop, think, and then act :idea:

reason number #255 for not diving solo

It freaked me out a little reading your post, I actually have the same masks as you do my primary is my Ocean Master and (my instructor swears by the "shadow") so I carry one in my bc pocket, thankfully my poseidon bc has big pockets and that little fellow fits in there with no problem.

I can't say I've running into the problem with the Oceanmaster mask and certainly hope I don't. This said, safety first is key know-a-days and since I'm doing my Dive master course I've learned so much about how new and not so new divers look up to DM's AI's and OWSI's for knowledge and prcatical application of gear used and safety.

Iam 17 years old. I am a rescue diver and a lifeguard at my local pool you would think that I would get my chance to use a pocket mask while diving or while at work. However, I regretfully had to use my pocket mask in a local Taco Bell this summer. a young girl was choking and unconcious on the floor When I walked in a group of people had gathered around her and none of them knew what they were doing. I quickly retrieved my pocket mask out of my car and administered chest thrusts and mouth to mouth. the young girl turned out fine but from now On I will never be without my pocket mask.:)

I havn't had much use for my thigh pocket. However I was on a dive with my partner when his mask was promptly ripped from his face. I was able to find his mask but the experience gave me reason for pause. I now carry an extra mask in that thigh pocket, I'll get my money's worth yet! I havn't used it in an emergency only drills, BUT, you never know.........
Wreck/Tec

i dive extrememly cold water with a full face mask and double tanks... tell me what happen if ur primary starts to free flow... ok switch to ur octo.... problem now you have no mask... always carry one... also sea lions like to steal masks and keep them from you... currents like to steal them to
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom