So, who carries a pocket mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To this point, I've considered the probability of needing a pocket mask so remote that I haven't bothered with it. However, after reading this thread, I'm going to get one and figure out how to keep it very close at all times.

Thanks guys!

bwerb once bubbled...
This is a different topic but perhaps someone can answer. How do you remove a backplate and wings at the surface on a victim if it has no releases? Do you cut it off or is it actually quite easy to slip off underneath. I've never had the chance to practice any rescue techniques on anyone with this setup.

I isn't hard to remove but cut it if you want.

Nessie once bubbled...
yes, I would appreciate your sharing very much!
For me the decision wether I do rescue-breathing in the water or not depends very much on the situation, if I can get the victim to the shore/boat in an acceptable time (something definitely less than 5 minutes) I would not do it, but if it takes longer it would probably be the only option to give the victim a chance. I agree that the efficiency will probably be less in the water. But it is known that especially nearly-drown-victims quite often start breathing again after a few mouth to mouth (or mouth to mask) rescue breaths, so I would say it´s worth a try???

Caro

5 minutes may be way too long.

Scubaddawg once bubbled...
Dont leave home without it!!!!

... Luckily for me, my buddy was looking at me ....

Scuaddawg

Reason number #256 for being prepared for diving solo.

Hallmac once bubbled...
Well I'm part of different rescue thought. I don't do in water rescue breathing.

We scoop and go. Get to land or boat and start there. I will be happy to share some of the thoughts behind this very different technique if you wish. But it might start quite a stir.

Alot of it has to do with time, physical efforts, quality of exchange in water, and records from the emergency units here and from the lifeguards at two Florida beaches.

Hallmac

Might work if you are right next to the boat but even then you ought to pack em first. Rescue breaths can be administered just fine in the water. Depending on conditions if it will take more than a few minutes to get them out of the water and your not going to administer rescue breaths you may as well not trouble yourself with towing them in.

I would like to hear more about your technique and who developed it.

And...why in the world is this in the masks section? Someone doesn't know what a pocket mask is I guess.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

5 minutes may be way too long.

My books say that about 5 minutes after breathing stopped irreversible brain damage starts to develope.

Of course it´s not only time you need to bring the person to shore/boat, you have to add the time when breathing stopped, and I said "definitely less than..."

And I keep wondering about the section as well...

@hoover
Where is the difference, as a rescuer I want to do the best for the rescuee without taking too much risk for myself, as a victim I would expect the rescuer to do the best he/she can for me, and accept (well, I have to, haven´t I?) that he/she does not risk herself

As far as the pocket mask, it goes in my fully stocked bag in my truck. I also have a BVM with it and other airway adjuncts. If I'm working as a resuce diver, we have a tube kit and O2 on the boat. I don't really see a need to carry a pocket mask with me on a dive though. An open top snorkel with a purge valve on the bottom makes a great substitute though if I need it. Was I the only one taught this? You take the bottom section of the snorkel, place it in the victims mouth. Hold it in there and pinch the nostrils with the same hand. With your other hand, and the victims head supported on your shoulder, cover the top of the snorkel. Put your mouth on the mouthpiece and presto, you have a one way valve breathing device. Having used this technique in the water while swimming my patient to the back of the boat, I must say it works great. Also saves money on a less fancy snorkel that gets lost in the bottom of a dive bag otherwise.

Yup I keep a handy little item in my Wallet which was developed by a British Bobby about the size of a handi wipe. It folds out to be a face cover and one way valve. Very simple easy to use and its always with me. In my dive bag I carry a regular pocket mask with O2 hookup. My Level 3 kit and and a Oxy kit. ( I am a Level 2 Industrial First aider)

Cherry

Back
Top Bottom