so who has ever been/ felt like orca bait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's hard to see people who live to make a difference in the world, hurt by the very things they are trying to protect! Irony is not always funny I guess.

We need more like Her!

The leopard seals are big, mean, agressive and generally down right nasty. They are not the top of the food chain.

Orcas find leopard seals to be great eating.

The only thing leopard seals seem to be afraid of are orcas.

Before people go labeling leopard seals as horrible nasty people biting creatures and we add one more sea critter to the "big bad scary" list, please do a little research and find out when the last known attack on a human was before this one...:wink:

And the very small number of people diving in Antarctica I would say a very strong caution is waranted.

BTW When was the last time you say a leopard seal in person?

I would place leopard seals in the list with polar bears. They probably won't do anything to avoid you at any time and they are very likely to view you as food.

I have been diving for 25 years and I have never been worried about a shark atack. Even with three people in a zodiac leopard seals close by are reason for concern.

Frankly, it is really the microscopic critters that worry me more, especially as most of my diving lately is in fresh water.

I don't mean to put a dark light on the Leopard Seal! I have encountered one face to face, I didn't feel threatend at all (Call me Nieve if you like). On that note there is always the possibility of Danger when they are in the vacinity.

Dive Girl, In my previous post there is a link to an article where a scientist was killed by a lepoard seal 2 months ago in the antarctic. I don't have any facts of attacks previous to that one, or even if there was a record of one at all?

Needless to say, I worry more about the human life on the surface more than any Marine Life. Unfortunately we are the top of the food chain and take advantage of it whenever we can!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom