so who has ever been/ felt like orca bait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have actually been in the water (with a snorkel) with a pod of 22 Orcas off Quadra Island in British Columbia.

While the statement is totally overused, this was a religious experience. I don't have words to describe it.

It was the most awesome (literally) experience of my life.

I could *feel* the orcas "pinging me" underwater - it reverberated inside my body, not unlike when you are sitting at a stoplight next to a teenager's car with big bass woofers.

Some scientists believe that orcas actually can "see" the bone structure of their prey (or of me, in this case). I believe it. If you think about it, the "sonar" travels through the water - and our flesh/muscles is MOSTLY water - so it makes sense that bones would be what reflects the sound back to the whales.

Anyway.

I was not even a little frightened, despite the fact that orcas are THE apex predator in the oceans, and the largest creatures ever to prey on mammals. Maybe it's me being foolish, but I would get in the water with orcas EVERY single chance I get.

We actually got a few seconds of HORRIBLE video of the encounter:

http://www.pugetsounddiving.com/webmovies/orcas.html

-d

A few years ago before I Started diving I was out fish ing my boat at my cabin up the sunshine coast....When i found myself in the middle of a pod of orcas! IT was amazing they were jumping up and landing on their backs all around me....At one point on went under my boat..(an 18 foot boston whaler) I think that I was too amazed to be nervous! What a sight!

I wish I had a snorkel and a mask so I could have goten a little closer! Next time!

I can't remember the exact details but it was in Argentina before 1985.
I would not classify it as an attack on a human but a grab by mistake.

curse my old dying brain cells

:(

Hey Pug, I don't think you want to try those games with the leopard seals in Antarctica. They are likely to eat you. The leopard seal are really not very nice.

pipedope once bubbled...
Hey Pug, I don't think you want to try those games with the leopard seals in Antarctica. They are likely to eat you. The leopard seal are really not very nice.
.. that I'll be diving Antarctica anytime soon... but about those leaopard seals... them's the biting' kind, eh?

a Scientist was killed by a Leopard Seal in the antarctic just a little while ago.

I believe they are the top of the food chain in that area of the world!
Leopard Seal Attack

:(

Back
Top Bottom