So, why do they do that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

This is one area where NAUI isn't all that great. I got no Cert. # until I made my DM rating. All that's on the card is cert. date, Instructor #, and location of cert. I think it would be a good idea to issue numbers, but who knows...could be a bit of a hassle too.

I don't think the numbers really mean that much, who actually checks them? PADI cards change everytime until you get to DM, then your number is permanent. IANTD gives you a number that stays the same from card one, and as you say, NAUI does something different.

I am NAUI certified and my card doesn't have numbers, other than Location of training, date of training and instructor info. yes my name is on it, but not my picture, Nor DOB, or SSN. However, if you call up NAUI, they will tell you they use your SSN for your actual number, its just not posted on the card. I for one am glad. I don't like the idea of my DOB or SSN on my dive card. If someone wants or really needs my cert number, I will give it... on my terms, but I will show them my card..all day long. hehehe.
Not sure why PADI does what they do, but I've seen my wifes card (She is PADI certified) and ....more power to them... but I won't ever cert through PADI as long as they put all your sensitive info on your dive card.

Its a dive certification card...not a ID CARD for the world to use! :box:
IMHO

=-)

Strick once bubbled...
I am NAUI certified and my card doesn't have numbers, other than Location of training, date of training and instructor info. yes my name is on it, but not my picture, Nor DOB, or SSN. However, if you call up NAUI, they will tell you they use your SSN for your actual number, its just not posted on the card. I for one am glad. I don't like the idea of my DOB or SSN on my dive card. If someone wants or really needs my cert number, I will give it... on my terms, but I will show them my card..all day long. hehehe.
Not sure why PADI does what they do, but I've seen my wifes card (She is PADI certified) and ....more power to them... but I won't ever cert through PADI as long as they put all your sensitive info on your dive card.

=-)

That NAUI doesn't put sensitive info on the card, but I think it wouldn't be too hard for them to start a rolling number system....like they already have in store for their professional certs. I don't know...just my 2 cents

Your number with NAUI is your SSN until you get to DM...

Strick once bubbled...

I just checked my whole range of PADI cert-cards (including DM): there's a photo and DOB, I'm probably too stupid to understand why such information should be considered as sensitive.

We check it. After having a few "divers" exhibit exceptionally questionable skills we started asking for photo id too if the c-card doesn't have a picture on it. We found that some people were borrowing c-cards without a photo from a friend to avoid all that bothersome training. :bonk:

I think the DOB is no more intrusive on my c-card than on my driver's license. Having a certification number of the diver and the diver's instructor is an additional way to follow up with an agency if needed in the event of an incident.

I don't see why NAUI uses ssn's for cert numbers even if they don't print it on the card. It shouldn't be much trouble to institute a rolling number system. What number do they use for non-Americans who don't have a ssn?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom