So why is it a bad idea to go back to do a safety stop if you blow it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's more than a "few" problems with attempting in-water re-compression. In fact, there are so many potential problems and drawbacks that in-water re-compression is simply not a viable option unless a considerable amount of logistical and medical planning/preparation has been conducted in advance. It is a majorundertaking, well beyond the capabilities of any recreational dive charter. If a technical charter/expedition wished to provide re-compression, it'd probably be simpler and more effective to just get a portable hyperbaric chamber on their vessel.

There are already some very informative threads on this subject already. However, as a very basic run-down; here are some considerations:

1) In-water re-compression typically takes many hours
2) The casualty needs to be delivered with pure O2
3) The casualty needs to be rapidly hydrated
4) The casualty needs medications (immuno-suppressants, anti-inflammatories etc)
5) The casualty needs treatment for shock and/or may lose consciousness
6) The casualty needs continual monitoring, including neurological assessments
7) The casualty needs to be maintained at an optimal temperature

...the list goes on.
While I agree that In-water recompression is not something that should be taken lightly and needs knowledge and advanced preparation, I am not sure that the needs are necessarily so drastic. This Wikipedia article describes some IWR protocols that do not last an hour, let alone many hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-water_recompression

I have done a lot of diving with a group that does deep diving in a sinkhole on the prairie of New Mexico. They have no good facilities nearby, and a chamber is a long haul away. They keep an O2 tank and a full face mask on site for this purpose. They have done 3 IWRs that I know of. I know each of the people who were recompressed this way, but I was not present on any of the occasions. I don't believe any of the treatments lasted more than a half hour, although I could be wrong. All 3 were successfully resolved.

Last edited:
If you have DCS in-water recompression has many hazards and if you don't have DCS there is no need to go back in the water. A better idea is: Don't skip safety stops from below 100 feet and don't shoot up like a polaris missile ever.

The onset for DCS symptoms is not always immediate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom