Socal Chartered Boat Dive Protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 2 cents: To answer the original question! I have hundreds of dives on the BS and know Capt. Greg and Princess, her sister, Bobby, and a number of others. I know that the person who does the charter has the final word as to leaving. I know the BS leaves at 7:00 am unless otherwise requested or specified by the charter. Standard check-in is 6:00am as not to wake the people who have stayed all night! We have left early on a number of occasion with a full manifest!

The decision to leave early without a full manifest must go to the person who is financially responsible because of this exact thing! I have been aboard when we have waited a few extra minutes to fill the manifest. I would say that the decision is squarely in the shop owners hands and therefore the need to make it right as well! I am sure no one wants an ugly fight over "He said, she said" If I would have made the decision then I would do it understanding the stand procedure of the boat and the benefit of the judgment has to go to the paying customer, who is from out of town and my not know the area or the traffic! In 7 years of diving that boat I always stayed the night so even if we left early I wouldn't miss breakfast:wink:

Remember if you leave at 7:05am 16 divers a galley Gal, deckhand, and a captain will be on your side! Remember the divers creedo! "We never Leave our buddies behind" especially if they are good looking!

Maybe a lesson for everyone will be learned? I would sell 20 seats on a boat that hold 28 and refund the money? But then again I don't own a shop, but I did stay in the Hermosa Inn at Avalon! :popcorn:

BTW: The National Geographic episode of Expeditions to the edge "Sunken Sub" was shot aboard the BS and I did the underwater portion!

806_P9270681_eXPEDITIONS_TO_THE_EDGE_FOR_NGC_04.jpg

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that Scuba Center Temecula has issued my refund, and all seems to be well now. I want to thank you guys for your thoughts on boat protocol, and I'm glad that what started out as a series of misunderstandings between me and a dive shop has turned into a fruitful discussion here that could maybe help clarify for other out-of-towners the variability in boat departure protocol.

Maybe I'll bring my gear back to LA one of these days and give it another try. I'd die to see a giant black sea bass finally!

Again, thanks to you guys and thanks to Scuba Center Temecula,

Karen

Back
Top Bottom