SoCal Dive Extravaganza

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Am So Ready To Go Somewhere!!!!!

drbill:
Thanks for the suggestion. However, when I dive in a region I haven't filmed already, I need to get in a minimum of 30-50 dives to ensure reasonably good coverage in my video work. To do only 10 dives in that area (which I haven't been in since the late 60's) would be too little diving for what I need to do. Like the Greek Islands (especially Rhodos and Crete).

Dr. Bill

Bill,
I have a couple of places (relatives) to stay in Kas/Turkey....one of the best diving spots in the entire mediterennean; that's where I got certified last summer. Here is a site of a dive shop in the area... if you'd like we can coordiate accomodations and dive plans for you to be able to do 30-50 dives.....if you are serious, I can make serious attempts to make it incredibely cost effective for you. Something to think about!!!

http://www.sirenadive.com/sirena_sirena.html

Cheers....

jetfixer:
puuhleeze! How many trips do you have scheduled this year??!! :wink:

Okay, but only one is really a dive trip. Since this is ScubaBoard, only the dive trip counts. So, one! See, not many. Okay, I'm not counting boat trips either. Just one. Not counting trips that are less than 2 nights either. One. That's it, just one.

Camping and diving in Mexico would be fun! (Camping constitutes any hotel that doesn't have room service.)

Hawaii would be good. (Jamie could golf and I could dive.) We have timeshares too! Hmmm. When is the next long weekend???

So, is this really going to happen? :06: If so, it would be great opportunity for my 100th dive. I did number 50 in Thailand and plan on doing number 100 somewhere other than Shaw's Cove :wink: .
I prefer warmer water than SoCal. Hawaii, FL Keys, Belize sound good to me.

Okay, now that the long weekend's over I'm gonna resurrect this...

I'm really quite intrigued by Kelp Elite's suggestion of Cabo Pulmo. Looks gorgeous (www.cabopulmo.com ). I'm showing airfares of about $200 RT from LAX to Cabo San Lucas, with a 1 hour drive to Cabo Pulmo. Minimum hotel rate is $50 at the above-mentioned resort, and they have larger rooms or villas for those who want to group together and split the cost ($100 for a 3-room bungalow). Looks like a great long weekend.

So you figure $200 p/p for air, max of $50 per night hotel (less if we you share a villa), group car rental, diving costs ($75 per 2-tank boat dive), and food (villas have a BBQ area).

So for a 4 night stay (3 days of diving) you're talking somewhere around $625 for air, hotel, and 6 dives. Then add food and other (car rental, etc.).

If there's any shore diving around there (I think someone said it's not allowed??) then you can get it down to $400 for air and hotel.

Not bad...

Car rental in Cabo is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. like $75 for a SMALL car. Bus is a long ride but a lot cheaper. I would still rather go to Kona or Maui but thats just me. :wink:

We can always rent a van...very very comfortable and will be much cheaper when we split the cost...it's $160 each way or $320 round trip and can accomodate up to 10 people, there's no need for a car at the resort, especialy if this is going to be a 3-5 diving days trip...I suggest Wed-Sun. Trip is about 1 hr. non-stop.
The driver of the van on our last trip, stopped by at a local grocery shop by the airport for us also he took us to a nice restaurant for to-go lunch&margaritas so we can munch and drink on the way. Nowhere you can get service like that for the price!!!!
There is no beach dives allowed (Strict Marine Park protection rules) but resort will provide me free diving if we have 8 or more divers which I'll be happy to apply it to the cost of everyone's share. 2 tank dives are $65 and 1 tank is $45... equipment rental is $20 but weights/tank-air is free.

I am taking a group there from my church for a Discovery dive excursion for non-divers to learn about diving.....this is being planned for late Sept. I thought this will be a great way to people experience what diving is all about in a nice warm, good viz. environment and cheap too!!!! Also, Cabo Pulmo is a great place for families with kids for snorkeling, kayaking etc.

I'll take Cabo Pulmo over Hawaii anytime; for short trips (3 diving days)...... but of course, that's just me !!!!

Cheers....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom