Socorro Liveaboard Grounding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't wait to hear how they hit the island. With all those radar domes you'd think they would have seen it. Auto pilot perhaps?

At least for the passengers belongs it doesn't look too bad. I know Marissa brought her Choptima. The boat itself might be salvageable.
Yes I saw the Choptima too in her pictures. Let's hope that after everyone is safe (top priority of course) that there can be recovery and salvage of items. Water looks a bit rough in the pics, and that boat is sitting very low in the water (compare to normal level) with lower decks completely flooded, up to the main deck. Not sure of the layout, hope the belongings and possibly the ship are salvageable (especially if it stays jammed on the rocks) and also that there aren't any fuel leaks.

Reactions: RB7
I can't wait to hear how they hit the island. With all those radar domes you'd think they would have seen it. Auto pilot perhaps?
Well, as was posted over on the parallel thread that O-ring pointed out, this ship did have an incident a few years back. Thank goodness this wasn't worse. Smashing through a fuel dock doesn't always end well.

Those are satcomms, she only appears to have one radar (which is normal for a boat her size, she isn't a warship).

Did it run aground on the way to the island or did it actually hit the island?
Unless it's some kind of photo distortion or boat design, to me the bow looks like it was damaged. Don't want to speculate here, just pointing out what I see in the photo.

Attachments

• WhatsApp-Image-2022-05-09-at-4.20.13-PM-1-1024x479.jpeg
    WhatsApp-Image-2022-05-09-at-4.20.13-PM-1-1024x479.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 190
Here's the layout. Based on water levels, looks like crew quarters and lower passenger quarters are fully flooded. Along with the dive deck and probably some of the lounge. Main/Upper deck passenger suites probably salvageable if it stays at that position. Hope some people can get their possessions back. Very sad all around but at least no bad injuries or loss of life.

Attachments

• Socorro-vortex-deck-plan.jpg
    Socorro-vortex-deck-plan.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 181
You have to really wonder how you can run into an island - but then you see the video of running into the fuel dock.....

A few days ago, I seen a captain flat passed out in the marina until the crew woke him up so that he could take the trip out....

Glad everyone is ok

Another reminder to have your go-bag, right near you in the night. I suppose superficially attached so as not to sitter off in case of grounding vs a fire?

It's a relief that this reminder comes amongst news that all are safe and well, despite being in a frustrating situation.
We were required to turn our passports over to the boat operator so we wouldn’t have the opportunity to have them in a grab bag. I’m guessing that is standard procedure.

We were required to turn our passports over to the boat operator so we wouldn’t have the opportunity to have them in a grab bag. I’m guessing that is standard procedure.
Same on Nautilus. IIRC, it is so the captain/crew can present them all to the boarding party on the Socorro Naval Base check in day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom