SOCORROS LIVE ABOARD , When is the best time of year, and which company ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curamax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning a liveaboard to Socorros.
When is the best time to go?
wich company ? SolmarV, Nautilius explorer, Rocio del Mar?

Pros an cons ?

thanks

I learned that April to June is the best time for hammerheads although they are supposed to be there through the year. In the winter months humpback whale sighting is more likely, while whale sharks are mentioned as a possibility in May/June.

I accepted that information and booked a place on the Rocio del Mar for early May 2015. While shopping around, I only checked with Solmar V and the Rocio. Solmar had not yet got their 2015 schedule out (expected soon) but the lady said that they expected a 9-day expedition to cost around $3600 inclusive of taxes but not the park fees etc. They wanted 33% deposit right up. Rocio del Mar on the other hand, had their 2015 schedule ready, quoted $3250 for a 9-day trip inclusive of taxes and were happy with a 25% deposit. But what really clinched it for me - and the reason I went ahead without even checking with Nautilus Explorer - was the fact that Solmar pleaded their inability to provide 100 Cu ft steel tanks even at extra cost whereas Rocio have 3 on board available at no additional fee. I reserved one.

I have also been very happy with the quick response from the Rocio team.

Went with Solmar for a late February-early March trip. If water temp is an issue, we were all in 7 mms due to temps ranging from 70-75. Lots of humpback interaction and the crew let us vote on how long to stay at certain islands. Great crew and food. Would sail with them anytime. I also had the chance to meet Dora who owns Rocio del Mar at Our World Underwater. Very nice and we are considering a Sea of Cortez trip with her. Don't think you can go wrong with either. We chose Solmar because of their long experience in the area and reputation. If I went back, I'd go in Nov or April-May to be able to drop to a 5mm or even 3mm. I think Viz might be better in Nov as well. That's what the crew told us.

Rob

I looked at the water temperature chart in May for the seas around Socorro and the chart still is below 20*C! I am not sure if I was looking at the wrong place but AFAIK there is only one "El Socorro". I do not own a 7mm wetsuit but will take my full 5mm suit plus the 2.5mm (probably down to 2mm now due to overuse) shorty that I can pull over on top if necessary.

Planning a liveaboard to Socorros.
When is the best time to go?
wich company ? SolmarV, Nautilius explorer, Rocio del Mar?

Pros an cons ?

thanks

Thanks
looks like SolmarV and Rocio del mar are good options.

When is the best time for?
hammerheads?
humpback ?
dolphins?
whale sharks?

I asked the same question to Dora of Rocio. Here is what she said.

Hammerheads: Best time April to June but there at other times too.
Humpbacks: Winter mainly. Unusual after April and before November.
Dolphins: January to March but possible at other times.
Whale Sharks: May to November.

Here are a couple of useful guides that I found. Notice the siginificant difference of opinion in water temperatures.

Socorro Islands Diving Guide

El Socorro Water Temperature (Sea) and Wetsuit Guide (Baja Norte, Mexico)

THE REVILLAGIGEDO (SOCORRO) ISLANDS, MEXISO - Scuba Diving Holidays, Dive Travel & Underwater Photography with DiIVEQUEST

Thanks
looks like SolmarV and Rocio del mar are good options.

When is the best time for?
hammerheads?
humpback ?
dolphins?
whale sharks?

I went on the Nautilus Explorer twice and would recommend them. The Solmar V, Rocio del Mar and Nautilus Explorer all seem to get consistently good reviews. If I were to go a third time (and I probably will) I would go in April for the Humpbacks (and of course the Mantas - but they're always there).

I have a group looking for one more diver for a 10-day trip (7 days of diving) on the Nautilus Explorer on 18 March 2015. We will get a group discount of about $425 per person. Deposit is $845 and a standard shared berth is $2970 (male or female) with the discount, or a female triple-share for only $2470 after discount. Check the website below for more details on this boat and email me at ccox@mchsi.com if interested. We are not a travel company, just a group of divers that love to travel together. Just so you know, we scheduled our dates because it is on the shoulder season for both humpbacks and hammerheads. All year is supposed to be good for other sharks and mantas.
Nautilus Explorer Luxury Scuba Diving Safari Liveaboard Socorro Giant Mantas and Guadalupe Great White Sharks

The Rocio del Mar is an excellent choice.

As far as time of year, it depends on what you want to see and preferred water temps.

For me, the first part of Nov. is the best - warm water, good vis. and marine life!

The Baja Norte region is about 800 miles from Socorro. El Socorro and the Socorro Islands are two different places. It's the northernmost point of the Bay of the Sea of Cortez near Mexicali. I suspect the tidal exchange there promotes good surfing.

So don't use #2 for temperature comparisons as it's shielded by Baja California and likely warmed by being shallow. It's about 500 miles from Cabo - the departure point for the ships and the Socorro (Revillagigedo) Islands are 300? miles farther out in the open Pacific.

Nobody would go all the way out to the Socorro Islands to surf...:rofl3: The Mexican Navy won't let them land if they did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom