Sodium-Chloride pool (NaCl)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabeachboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey ScubaBoard pals.

My local health club just went to a al NaCl system for the pool and hot tubs,
They do not use Chlorine tablets or Cl-Cl gas anymore.
The water is really soft now, and tastes like I am in the ocean.
The hot tub feels/tastes like I am Phillipines or Guam on a dive.

Anyone else been in a NaCl system???
I went to the outside pool and tried it (still Cl control), the water was hard and seemed uninviting.

Does anyone know of problems with this sort of system??
I wonder if hot tub will now be cleaner, or same, or worse.
I generally try to stay out of hot tubs as its bubbling human goo.
Or thats my impression anyhow.

very cool NaCl system..

I've been in a pool recently using the NaCl system. I loved it - what a huge difference! I don't know much about it, though. It seems easier to maintain. Are there any downsides to it?

Been in both, prefer chlorinated pools provided its done properly. Certainly not as bad on my skin/hair etc afterwards. Not as bad on the gear either. Oh and my eyes dont sting as much :)

NaCl is just salt, correct? You still would need some disinfectant for the water if there is no chlorine or it will get all kind of nasties growing in there.
Are you sure it's not sodium HYPOchlorite? There are two types of chlorine... sodium and calcium hypochlorite. Calcium /magnesium is what contributes to water hardness if my limited chemistry serves me correctly.

NaCL is normal table salt. Pool is still chlornated, just gets the chlorine from the salt instead of tablets or a bottle. Run a little eletricity throught salt water, it breaks apart. Chlorine does it's sanatizing thing, sodium oxidises in the water and is filtered out as dirt.

There ya' go...."saltwater" pools are chlorinated using a different method. Still, a lot of people swear by them. A friend with one tells us that they're easier to maintain.

I would bet that your pool felt better because it was better (more recently) maintained. i.e., the chemistry was better.

You don't have to have a lot of chlorine to have a safe system. In fact, a lot of time, when people complain about "chlorine" in the water, they're really complaining about something else (lay down the law to any little kids they let in and it will help.)

We have a low chlorine system at my house. My kids operate under the "it's not a bathroom" rule. We use a mineral cartridge to sterilize the water. The chlorine levels in the water, barring a short period after I shock it, are only a fraction of that in most pools. It occasionally dips to undetectable levels. I think I loaded my chlorine dispenser ONCE over the summer.

I run chemistry each week and the water is pretty soft (my fill water is softened.) After 7 years, I can so we've had no problems with algae or bacteria. The water is very clear blue, the plaster is perfect (benefit of keeping the water soft) and my gear needs no rinsing. (I built the pool prett deep so I could try out gear and practice in it.)

Like as has already been said, the chlorine in the pool is created by running an electrical current across and anode and a cathode. The result is chlorine, hydrogen, and sodium hydroxide. It will cause the pH in the system to creap up. This is bad in a pool if not corrected. This is one drawback.

This system can contribute to galvanic corrosion problems.

You are right about hot tubs.

Its just another method. All of the normal issues exist. If the pool is well operated, it will be safe, if not...

I miss having a hottub....other then being hot, the water is cleaned the same way as in the pool; might even be cleaner since kids usually arn't allowed in them. (if im wrong, don't correct me, I love hot tubs!)

Like as has already been said, the chlorine in the pool is created by running an electrical current across and anode and a cathode. The result is chlorine, hydrogen, and sodium hydroxide. It will cause the pH in the system to creap up. This is bad in a pool if not corrected. This is one drawback.

This system can contribute to galvanic corrosion problems.

You are right about hot tubs.

Its just another method. All of the normal issues exist. If the pool is well operated, it will be safe, if not...

Do you need to keep adding salt? Chlorine, although coming from the salt after the breakdown, is unstable in water and disappears or is bound up in organic compounds pretty quickly. Interesting system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom