Sodwana Lodging and Diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with docmartin. Spending two days in Johannesburg would be a waste of time.
I would rather fly from JHB to Durban and try and dive Aliwal Shoal or Protea Banks (Aliwal Shoal 30km South of Durban, Protea Banks 100km South of Durban).

The game lodge idea is great.
The food at Sodwana Bay Lodge has improved a lot over the last year or so.

Capetown would be a great end to the trip depending on what you are planning to do.
There is of course the GW cage dives around Capetown which I think would be a fantastic experience although it is a bit of a controversial issue with some.

Wow thanks for all the help! Ok so if you have 10-11 days on the ground and 6 are accounted for w/Op in Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Park what would be your schedule? Also for all of you that have been there what month were you there? Still trying to decide between Feb&June. Game viewing is primary factor.

It is quite tough to make recommendations on the time.

If you are staying on the East Coast for the entire time (i.e. Sodwana, Hluhluwe, Durban) I would recommend June as the weather, game viewing and dive conditions will be better all round.
If you intend going to Capetown, it depends on what you want to do there. June could be quite horrible in Capetown weather wise as it will be in the middle of the rainy season.
On the other hand, February could be bad on the East Coast w.r.t. weather and dive conditions.

If I had to plan the trip for myself, I would do it in June, spending the bulk of my time on the East Coast game viewing and diving at Aliwal Shoal, then Sodwana. I would end my trip by visiting Capetown for two days or so.
I wouldn't be able to dive in Capetown then (but that could be an excuse to come back again).

Well as we have had a chance to read up a little more I think SA-Diver you have the right idea. We are shifting to June, will minimize our time in Johannesburg and tour the East Coast more. Plus we have a few months to obsess about this...

Thanks again, still open to any must see sights!

SA-Diver:
I wouldn't be able to dive in Capetown then (but that could be an excuse to come back again).

Why not - the viz in False Bay is at it's best at that time of year - we had up to 25m .

Safe Diving

Andrew

SA-Diver:
I have to agree with docmartin. Spending two days in Johannesburg would be a waste of time.
Capetown would be a great end to the trip depending on what you are planning to do.
There is of course the GW cage dives around Capetown which I think would be a fantastic experience although it is a bit of a controversial issue with some.

I too agree, do not waste your time in Joburg, Capetown is a great place to explore

First it is funny how I have gotten the best info about what most would think to be a Ultimate Dryland trip at a site about scubadiving. Second my wife is amazed how I am going to "drag" my housing, lenses, etc.. on Safari LOL!

Joburg isnt all that bad, there is some stuff to see and do, mjh give me a shout when you get here, maybe we can go fro a few drinks

With a little bit of luck, your trip in June may coincide with the Sardine Run. Do check on this. I believe it is best seen from Umkomaas / Scottburgh, south of Durban.
If you have the time and like hiking, a visit to the Drakensberg is highly recommended. We stayed at Didima Lodge near Cathedral Peak. Spectacular!

More great info.

Scubaculture we will give you a call since we will be flying in and out of Johannesburg. Looks like the dates will be June 17th-July 1st. Vjongene the sardine run made my list after seeing some of the pictures taken by a group that went from Wetpixel, amazing.

Back
Top Bottom