Sofirn SD01 + Orcatorch WS02 DIY primary light...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I found a winner with the DIY delrin and bungee "handle." Used it for a week of no-gloves diving in Roatan last month and loved it. Came home, swapped the bungee to make it large enough for dry gloves, and have done two deco dives in cold water sidemount with it. It's light, sturdy, and barely there. Here are my plans in case anyone's interested in making their own:
20230623_053950.jpg

I cut that from a piece of 6mm delrin. Bungee and screw holes are countersunk. Screw is a 1/4"-20x3/8". I'm using 6mm bungee.

I think I found a winner with the DIY delrin and bungee "handle." Used it for a week of no-gloves diving in Roatan last month and loved it. Came home, swapped the bungee to make it large enough for dry gloves, and have done two deco dives in cold water sidemount with it. It's light, sturdy, and barely there. Here are my plans in case anyone's interested in making their own:
View attachment 789181

I cut that from a piece of 6mm delrin. Bungee and screw holes are countersunk. Screw is a 1/4"-20x3/8". I'm using 6mm bungee.

Do you have a photo of ot on your hand in use?

A friend 3d printed the handle for me. I won't get a chance to test it out for another couple of weeks but I'm excited. The only complaint is that the light is ******* heavy. I might only run it with 2 batteries and hope for the best.
20240224_161301.jpg

This is what I'm working on tonight, 2nd iteration after a rough print, still doing some fine tuning. Final print I'm thinking ABS filament at 100% fill with some solvent smoothing. The concept is to put center mass of the SD01 right above the goodman handle and back of the hand. Bolted in front using the stock screw, bungied in back for redundancy. The holes for the hardware are sized to use a 5/16" highland delrin speed nut for height adjustment with a stainless bolt and nut. Any thoughts to share while I'm still in the early design phase? Its a cool light, very heavy, wierd shape and oddly balanced, hard to beat for the $ though.

1709854918012.png

1709855134082.png

Finished, posted a thread here:
Probably won't get a chance to get it wet 'til April

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom