Soft Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomorrow, I have nothing better to do, so I'm going down to the auto junk card and buy some old car batts, then tear apart take them home, melt them down and then pour the leaden mixture into some dixie cups and viola! I got me some home made, home brew real diving weights. Brittant! Saved me $5.00 Like the dummy who spent $5,000 on his own compressor to avoid paying $5.00 a fill at his LDS. Let's see, after 1,000 fills, it's paid for!!!

Instead of a ziploc bag why not use a food vacuum machine. I have one we use for freezing meat in meal size portions. When I do any rough camping I put a change of clothes in a bag and vacuum it in case it rains. Never had one get wet.

And since it's a vacuum, no trapped air.

Instead of a ziploc bag why not use a food vacuum machine. I have one we use for freezing meat in meal size portions. When I do any rough camping I put a change of clothes in a bag and vacuum it in case it rains. Never had one get wet.

And since it's a vacuum, no trapped air.

I'm trying the vacuum ziploc bags and have sealed the soft weight bags individually in the vacuum bags. Have not tried yet in water but I expect it to work.

I think the reason the regular zip bags fail is because of trapped air. The pressure forces the air out and breaks the seal on the bags and lets water in. Getting the air out before diving should seal the weights.

For those who say it makes no difference because they don't feel sick after handling lead, just look at the history of toxic materials. People were using asbestos, smoking, PCB and other toxins and they felt fine, and now we look back and say, what were they thinking? The same may occur with lead used in diving.

Adam

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom