software for editing underwater photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandanbob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi! I was wondering what software folks use for editing underwater images. What got me thinking about it was an e-mail offer I received for a program called "DIVE #1 Professional" from a company named Franzis.

I am just wondering if it is a good resource, or if there are better ones.

Thanks!

Bob

Dive #1 Professional

I do not know what you are using to take photos because that might influence your choice. Until recently, I used a Nikon D800 (a full frame DSLR), I recently got a Nikon Z7II (a full frame mirrorless).

In underwater photography, it is good to use the RAW format. In JPEG, the files are smaller but you cannot adjust white balance much in post processing. In RAW, you can fool with the white balance to your heart’s content. And this is really important in underwater photography because white balance changes show much with depth and angle of light and so on.

I use LIghtroom Classic by Adobe, The great thing about Lightroom is the underlying data of your photo is not affected by processing. You can process the photo and decide you do not like it and reset to remove all your edits and start over. Lightroom is really meant for RAW files but you can do JPEGs also.

I do not know what you are using to take photos because that might influence your choice. Until recently, I used a Nikon D800 (a full frame DSLR), I recently got a Nikon Z7II (a full frame mirrorless).

In underwater photography, it is good to use the RAW format. In JPEG, the files are smaller but you cannot adjust white balance much in post processing. In RAW, you can fool with the white balance to your heart’s content. And this is really important in underwater photography because white balance changes show much with depth and angle of light and so on.

I use LIghtroom Classic by Adobe, The great thing about Lightroom is the underlying data of your photo is not affected by processing. You can process the photo and decide you do not like it and reset to remove all your edits and start over. Lightroom is really meant for RAW files but you can do JPEGs also.

This ^^^^^^^^

Lightroom is awesome especially with latest version 12.3.

I'll third Lightroom especially if shooting in RAW.

I did stumble upon PhotoScape X a while back and it was free. I used it for Scuba Santa photos because it was quick and easy.

Another for lightroom. I also use Darktable for my UW photo classes, so the students don't have to buy Lightroom.

Darktable is basically an open source version of Lightroom. Free to use, mostly the same functionality. I'm not a huge fan, but mostly because I know how to use LR, so it's just off enough I get frustrated with it.

Capture One
Affinity Photo
Topaz AI Suite
Davinci Resolve for video

Lightroom is extremely powerful these days. It's fairly intuitive to use, and with endless free online tips, tricks training. To me presets are wonderful for the phone photographer, but with Lightroom... seems a bit like handing Picasso a coloring book and a 3 pack or crayons. Take a little time to learn the software and you'll be amazed what you can do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom