Sogod v PG ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markb

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am planning a solo 2 week trip to PI beginning of March. Last trip I did was Coron / Apo Island / Alona Beach. About 4 years ago but if anyone wants advice re these places just ask. I rated these -

Coron 4*
Apo 4/5*
Alona 3*

This time thinking of Sogod Bay for the pristine reefs + chance of seeing a whaleshark followed by Puerto Galera.
Not sure if there will be enough to do topside to keep me in SB for 2 weeks. However, not sure that PG diving will be similar but not as good as SB. Anyone been to both?
Did think about doing the second week in Coron as I really enjoyed the wrecks but as I don't travel as much as I would like I though of going somewhere new.

Other thing is that it will be on a budget (until I get there!) and PG looks a bit pricey.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers Mark

ps.

My other plan was to go to El Nido / Bacuit Archipelago / Coron. Partly to keep the travelling down a bit. I have been put off El Nido diving though looking at posts on here. Also seems that the BA is all a bit exclusive. I prefer being off the beaten track but not if it means v expensive or too quiet.

Again any advice.....

Cheers!

Hi Mark

I went to Sogod in April last year and loved it. Some of the healthiest hard and soft coral gardens I have seen. You a see my trip report here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/283458-philippines-trip-report-april-2009-part-1-a.html

Its definitely off the beaten path. But of course its very quiet. I kind of liked it but if you want some night life its not the place to be. As for the budget, its definitely one of the cheaper places to go.

I am not an active diver but am familiar with Sogod Bay and Puerto Galera. Puerto Galera (Sabang) will most likely be cheaper than diving in Sogod Bay.

Here are some pictures of the dive shops in Southern Leyte near Padre Burgos.
Leyte Scuba Diving - Philippines

One drawback to the area around Padre Burgos (Sogod Bay)is that you will more than likely be confined to your dive shop because there are no restaurants or malls or anything like that in the area - the closest would be in Maasin a half hour ride on a multi cab.

The advantages are more remote diving - Limasawa Island - occasional threshers, (Gunters-Southern Leyte Scuba) Napantau across the bay from the other dive shops (Peters, Sogod Bay, Davelitz) with the rare whale shark, and nice clean diving most places in the bay. There will be zero night life. If you have wheels - the drive around the bay is one of the most beautiful in the Philippines.

The pier in Padre Burgos is a favorite night dive for some of the local dive shops.

PG has many more shops - 4 discos, many restaurants, white beach (4km distant) Verde Island and a surprising variety of Marine life right in the bay out front the shops - a strong current continuously flushes the bay with clean water. The diving here is as cheap as it gets and is quite good.

If you are alone you might find Sogod to be a tad boring.

cheers

dp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom