Solmar V May 22nd 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverken374

Contributor
Reaction score
2.5 hrs north of Toronto, Ont., Canada/Cozumel
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am booked on the Solmar V May 22nd-30th 2012. I have a 3/2 Henderson wetsuit and I am not sure that will be warm enough although temperatures could be 78 plus. Has anyone dived at the Socorro Islands at this time of the year and what exposure suit did you wear? I would also be interested in hearing from anyone that is booked on the Solmar for this time and others that have done this trip and have any suggestions that may be helpful to prepare for what looks like a fabulous diving experience.
Ken

Ken - I dove Socorro with Solmar in February, also in 3mm Henderson, and I was fine. I also did Socerro with Nautilus in November. Same suit. Same fine. Take a 2mm vest just in case and any coat against the wind for panga rides - that was the coldest experience. Good luck.
Mikhail

Mikhail: We're going next February on the Solmar. When you say panga rides, do you mean to and from dive site or the little fun excusions they do to see an island or cave? I'm assuming taking the coat to-from the dive site would get it soaked. We've been advising our group to think 7mm wetsuit due to temps possible under 70F and 4 dives a day. Given your 3mm experience, maybe we can tell some without a 7mm that a 3 or 5 mm and vest will be ok. Thanks.

Rob

Mmmmm,
Thanks Mikhail and Rob.
I have just received an email from Solmar V and they suggest a 5mm and bring a vest plus/mius a hood. It is difficult to find a shop that carries 5mm here. Either it is a 3mm or 7mm or dry suit. When I was in Florida in Sept all they carried was 3mm. I think I will try and get a 5mm through the local dive shop. Solmar said temp possibly mid 70's so a 5mm should work for me.
I take a RAGZ jacket with me in a dry bag and it is quite warm and dry between dives.

ken

Just got back last week and the water is colder than normal this year. Generally between 71-73 degrees. I had a 5mm Harveys wetsuit that is relatively new and I was too cold. Wish I had a 7mm. In May it is generally more windy too, so if you've got a warm wind, bring it.

I would get an additional 5mm shortie and a hood. If you need it- you can wear the shortie over your current suit. Also bring a skin to protect your legs if you decide you want to wear the shortie without the 3mm you already have. When I was on this boat, I did notice a big difference in temp as we moved to different sites during the week so this will give you some versatilty. Also, bring a warm sweatsuit so you can heat up in between dives. Hope you have a great time.

Mix and match looks like the best way to go. I now have a 3mm full and a 2ml farmer john shortie. I have ordered a 5ml full and a 3 ml hood. I agree shmuggy that a 5mm shortie could work even better. I will see what I end up with and perhaps rent a suit if needed through the solmar dive shop contact. I want to be warm and toasty for this trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom