Solmar V, or Nautilus Explorer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know. I was kidding -- guess I should have used "quotations" as my attempt at humor was poor. David and I had just been posting tiger shark photos from the Bahamas in another forum. Didn't mean to be spreading false information!

daniel f aleman:
Drinking booze will end your dive day on every boat. And, most dive-ops are taking a harsh tone if you go past 130' or into deco - it's not just the Solmar, or just in Mexico.
Generally that is true, but not on the Truth Aquatics trip I was on last September. It was up to the individual diver to decide that drinking ended diving for the day. Most sensible divers did agree that drinking ended the diving, but not all of them felt that way.

The owner of the Nautilus, Mike Lever, does end your diving for the day after a drink, but he had no problem with solo diving on the trip I went on with them.

Nautilus Trip report for a Barkley Sound dive trip.
Photo Gallery from the trip.

I'd go on another Nautilus trip in a heart beat, especially to Port Hardy or Alaska.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like either boat will be a good trip. I've opted for the Nautilus heading out in Feb. next year for eleven days. Humpback season, so fingers crossed.

David

I've often thought of trying the Solmar, but keep hearing mixed reviews. Recent emails, and the website, talk about new owners. I'm not sure when that changed over exactly. Anybody know when exactly relative to any of these reports?

Solmar V was purchased by Jose Luis and Leslie Sanchez in early 2006. Founders and owners of Amigos del Mar dive store in Cabo San Lucas for the past 25 years, their dive store has been providing the scuba services aboard the Solmar V since 1992, when it became a dive boat. They know the boat and Mexico diving better than anyone around, lived in Baja for many, many years. He's a marine biologist , graduated from San Diego State. The boat has undergone extensive upgrades this summer, including the introduction of nitrox, and we have a group going with them to Socorro for the humpacks and mantas in early 2007. It's a beautiful and stable boat, most of the crew has worked together since 1992 so they work well together and safety is always their first priority. All liveaboards have their ups and downs, their good points and bad points, but at the end of the day it's about the diving. That's what brings us all together.

I've been on the Solmar V twice before. I saw major improvements between my first two trips - not that any trip was bad. Can't wait to go back in December for the digital photo workshop they are doing on a Socorro trip. Other than the cabins being kinda small, I loved the boat. Its got a lot of personality and is really a beautiful boat. The crew was fantastic and yes, the owners REALLY know what they are doing. I understand that they have added Nitrox and are remodeling the library corner to install computers for guests to use. How nice! Lots of other upgrades too. Its no longer run by a Mexican corporation, its now run by people who know and love the boat more than anyone. So I'm really looking forward to this trip. I'll report back after the trip.

their email address is ask@solmar V.com. i called them to make sure and yes, nitrox and other upgrades are complete and they're sold out for the rest of 2006 and alot of 2007. they said they did not receive your email.

Any fellow scubaboard readers going to be on the boat the end of november thru December 10th?

Back
Top Bottom