Solo Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geared up on the surface isn't necessarily safer than submerged.

No matter what your risk tolerance and choice you make for yopurself, this is an important point.

A lot of people actually get in trouble on the surface.--we see it a lot in Hawaii.

This is a little different from the original poster, but I have surfaced solo from a trio. We were at the anchor line, 20 ft, they were doing video. I got cold, signalled that I was cold and that they should stay together and continue their dive. All gave OK and I went up the anchor line. I decided to take that responsibility upon myself. My choice.
If I was with a single buddy and the buddy wanted to go up, I would go up with him. If I needed to go up before my single buddy, he would surface with me. We would have covered that prior.

One option to consider if you run low on air is to air share with your buddy. Having a long hose makes this a comfortable option.

One option to consider if you run low on air is to air share with your buddy. Having a long hose makes this a comfortable option.
If you mean to share air and continue with the dive then I think you have misunderstood the reasons for sharing air in the first place.

If you are sharing air then it's time you went up.

It's often good to look at specific situations and make reasoned decisions rather than following blanket rules. Sure, you don't want to have someone truly be out of air and then share with the purpose of extending the dive. But as long as the lower person has enough in their tanks to do their ascent, safety stop, and get out of the water I don't see the problem with sharing air otherwise.

We don't do it often, probably wouldn't bother if there was no special reason. But we've been, for example, under the boat towards the end of a dive with a manta circling. I've usually got an extra 1000# on my husband at that point, why not share and watch the show. Heck, it's good practice.

I have been in a situation where i was assending and i was distracted by a gear problem and looking down, i didnt see (just for a few seconds) that i was under the boat and if i didnt have a buddy with me and looking out for me i would have surly have hit my head on a hard pitching keel
so i feel theres more than just a OOA emergency that can kill you

I love doing solo ascents. Call the scuba police.

Sorry, that was my writing. I must have whacked the "edit" button instead of reply.

It's gone, so I'm assuming you fixed it.

Terry

Hehe.. That completely freaked me out....

I had a situation at a tropical destination. We had our DM, and 4 divers, a married couple, my buddy and myself. The couple was your typical vacation diver from the northeast, probably getting in a dozen dives a year on a good year.

The dive plan was the first diver to 100 PSI would let our DM know, and we'd make our way to the exit. Things got interesting when the husband let out guide know that he was at 600 PSI @ 60 FSW. The DM pointed to him then up emphatically, like he was saying "YOU UP NOW". My buddy and I looked at each other and almost in unison, we thumbed up too. So the three of us went up together, doing an open water ascent, leaving the DM with the wife. The ascent was uneventful, we all made a 3 min safety stop, then had a 200 YD + surface swim to the boat. (No good deed goes unpunished.)

The DM got to the boat shortly after we did, but no sign of the wife. He left her to do her safety stop alone on our mooring line. The DM was understandably mad at the husband. He also told us we should have finished the dive with him.

From my point of view, the DM made three serious mistakes:

1) Not checking the air consumption of divers he knew had limited experience.
2) Sending a diver up alone.
3) Leaving the wife alone on the down line.

This was our last dive of the trip, and we were so shocked we didn't discuss the situation on the way back in. In hind site, I assume he was in a rush to surface to make sure we made it to the boat. If that were the case, he should have gone back down to her once he saw we were OK.

Sorry for the hijack, but I guess the point of my story is that I'm opposed to solo ascents.

Due to air usage, I have been split from my buddy(wife) and have ascended with another diver low on air- I was next lowest. Although I found it irritating at the time, the logic and safety aspect of it was inescapable
This is a very workable solution, and an option I like to mention in my briefing.

Guiding is walking many fences between each guests wants, needs, expectations, comfort level and safety. Depending on the conditions, mix of group and probably even the captian, I offer divers the option of solo ascents. At the other end of the spectrum; if you were diving stag with everyone else buddied, I would ascend to your SS and wait there until the captain has you on the ladder if neccessary, then return to the others.

Solo ascents are a common occurrence in the shallow, tropical, recreational reef dive world. Divers are supposed to dive within their training and abilities. If you can't survive quadruple failur while alone at 15' (OOA, punctured BCD, mask flood & fin loss, or maybe calf cramp), is solo ascent within your training and ability?

Some divers are comfortable with it, some aren't. Some guides are comfortable with it, some aren't. Some instructors... Some captains... Some dive op's...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom