Solo Buceo dive op (Cancun) - any comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoc369

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone done any diving or heard anything about this dive op - Solo Buceo in Cancun? Thanks.

In late Jan. '09 my wife and I vacationed at Dreams Resort in Cancun Mexico. I usuall take a couple of dive trips in the winter with my dive buddies and with my dive shop too. Always on the agenda is a vacation with my non swimmer wife. I could learn very little about the dive shop at the resort on the web (Solo Buceo) . Well I brought my dive gear with me hoping for the best. Well, I had the most wonderful experience with Solo Buceo. The resort was probably the best all inclusive resort that we have stayed at and we've stayed at many over the last 30 years of vacations in the Carribean.
The resort sits at the tip of the Gulf of mexico and the Carribean Sea. The dive shop was very professional. Some times the boats are a little crowded but there are 6 divers per dive master. I dove with Jami , who has worked there for 20 years. The diving is all drift diving .the boat rides are 10 to 15 minutes from their dock. Durring the whole week Jamie handled all of my gear for me....even cleaned my gear!!!!There were plenty of colorful coral reefs with lots of animal life.Saw a few green morays,nurse sharks and hawks bill turtles. There were big schools of pork fish and I saw a fiew trumpet fish too.
The best dive was off of one ot the two wrecks in front of the resort. This dive was just Jamie and me. The wreck was broken in half by a hurricane and split inhalf. The two halves were about 200 yards apart. The 1st half of the dive was a scale down a rope hand over hand ( This dive was very strong current) Jamie told me that they only take experienced divers on this dive.We did a penetrating dive through many of the chambers. There was always light and exits easily available.The 2nd half of the dive was on the other 1/2 (Stearn) There is a trail of rocks to it. When we got there we came up the side of the boat very slowly and there lo and behold was the largest school of eagle rays that I have ever seen. I lost count at 23, Later on the dive boat Jamie had told me that there were over 50 of them. The currents were quite strong and you have to hold onto the wreck to keep in place. The dive was at 85 feet .so we couldn't stay more than 10 minutes on the stern half of the dive. It was an experience of a life time.Some times having low expectations pays off. It has been years since I dove in Cancun. I didn' like the dive shops. Well, if you want some good advice....dive with Solo Buceo they are one of the best dive shops that I have gone with. And their prices are very reasonable....Don't forget to tip the dive master and the boat captain too! ....tc

I know the owner of Solo Buceo, Alberto Friscione.

He is a really professional and well known person the Dive comunity of Mexico.

Actually he just finished putting together (with state government support) a big guide book about the diving in the State of Veracruz (in the Gulf of Mexico). He has also published a very nice coffee table book on the Revillagigedos and many more.

Last edited:
I had a less than satisfactory experience with Solo Buceo. I was staying at the Royal Mayan Resort in October of 2008. We went to the orientation party at the Royal Carribean Resort. It was there I booked a dive with Solo Buceo. I was told to be in front of the Royal Carribean resort at 0800 to be picked up for the dive. At 0845 someone from the hotel came out and told me the dive had been canceled because the port was closed. OK no problem, Solo Buceo does not control the weather. I contacted the kiosk at the resort and was told they would call me reschedule a dive when the port was open. Two days later at 0800 I received a call telling me the van was waiting and I needed to be down at the front of the resort. I had already scheduled an activity for that day. The port remained closed the rest of the week.

When I went to check out of the Royal Mayan the dive was still on my tab. I went to the Solo Buceo Kiosk at the Royal Mayan and requested a refund. They refused and said I need to take it up with the people at the dive kiosk at the Royal Caribbean. I walked down there (two resorts down) and talked to them there. They said since they had called me for a dive, I had missed the dive and they could not refund the dive trip. It took over 45 minutes and two phone calls to convince them to issue a refund.

I have no idea how the are to dive with, just make sure to keep your receipts and get a copy of the contract when you book a dive. Without the paperwork and showing the person at the kiosk that if THEY cancel a dive it is refundable, I would have been out the money.

Have fun on the dives.

I haven't dove with them but I can't recommend Ben at Mayan Aqua Dive enough, going back in May to dive with M.A.D. again.

My only experience with Solo Buceo was non-diving related. I always dive with MAD in Cancun and I happened to be wearing a MAD t-shirt. I signed my daughter up for a snorkeling course at the Royal Mayan, and we were waiting around for the instructor to show up. Two of the guys from the dive op came out and asked me if I wanted to dive. I said no. I wandering around the pool near the lobby and about ten minutes later, both guys came out and wanted to know why I was hanging around and I told them it was none of their business.

Finally, the instructor showed up and my daughter took her class. We then spent the remainder of the week diving with Mayan Aqua Dive. Those guys really pissed me off! I have not heard many things good about the op, previous to this experience.

Dive with Ben at MAD, save yourself the hassle. YMMV.

I got my OW certs with them and really enjoyed my instructor. Last year I dove with them for the first time since then and it was really disappointed diving with DM Jaime. Basically did two dives just trailing him. He did not interact or try to point anything of interest out. The only good thing they have going for them is that they are real close to the dive sites but only have slow boats.

I would stick with M.A.D. if i was you. Ben and his staff are top notch.

I have recently dive with this company and they provide the greatest service, capable hands and happy spirit that I have ever encounter during a vacation. These people know their business and are there to safely make your experience a pleasure.
Highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom