Solo deco dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amphiprion

Contributor
Reaction score
I've done some solo diving. I always carry two bags, two masks, two cutting tools, wear doubles and have two regulators. I'm wondering what if anything I should add when doing a decompression dive. For instance, should I H valve my deco bottle(s)?

Deleted.

I've done some solo diving. I always carry two bags, two masks, two cutting tools, wear doubles and have two regulators. I'm wondering what if anything I should add when doing a decompression dive. For instance, should I H valve my deco bottle(s)?

In my opinion, no.

Your gas planning should take into account a lost gas scenario and you should have enough backgas to deco out in the event that your lose access to your deco gas.

If you're diving multiple deco gasses, your lost gas scenario would take into account the worst case loss and have enough of your second gas and/or your backgas to deco out.

In my opinion, no.

Your gas planning should take into account a lost gas scenario and you should have enough backgas to deco out in the event that your lose access to your deco gas.

If you're diving multiple deco gasses, your lost gas scenario would take into account the worst case loss and have enough of your second gas and/or your backgas to deco out.

Not sure I agree with that. Having 2 deco gases gives you more options than a single one because you have 2 available regulators. If you are suggesting the plan should take into account 2 lost deco gases I have to disagree because you should only ever have to plan for one major failure. In fact having 2 regulators gives you the option of changing out the failed deco reg with a working one. (I have actually had to do that). The deco plan should account for either one of the deco gases to be lost though.

If you are suggesting the plan should take into account 2 lost deco gases I have to disagree because you should only ever have to plan for one major failure. In fact having 2 regulators gives you the option of changing out the failed deco reg with a working one. (I have actually had to do that). The deco plan should account for either one of the deco gases to be lost though.

I'm not.

I'm suggesting that in the event you're diving two deco gasses that your lost gas scenario should take into account whichever gas is going to have the greatest impact on your deco time and plan for the loss of that gas. That's why I said "have enough of your second gas to deco out."

For instance, should I H valve my deco bottle(s)?

What advantage would you get doing that?

If you have a problem with a deco bottle plan A is to do the required deco either on backgas or the other deco bottle. (Dont even think about a plan that does not allow that!)

Plan B is to switch regs. I generally dive sidemount. If I had to I could take off one of the sidemount regs and put it on a deco bottle.Alternatively you could switch regs between 2 deco bottles.

I have twice had problems with deco bottles.
1) Reg breathing very wet (My own fault for not checking it submerged before the dive,problem was a distorted diaphragm so taking it apart underwater did not fix it)
2)Knob fell off tank!!!! (Have since discovered that EMS shears carefully applied to a valvestem will open it)

In both instances I just did the deco on backgas.

I always gas plan for deco off of my backgas and for using my deco gas by the way. Just wondering if anyone would suggest also using two deco regs per deco bottle. Guess the answer is no. I don't currently use two deco bottles.

The procedure isn't changed whether you're diving solo or with a buddy. This should have been covered in your decompression class.

This should have been covered in your decompression class.

They have a class for this? Who new... :wink:

I think that you need to consider the "degree" of deco required when deciding on your configuration. Most of my dives require a small amount of deco... say up to 10@10 or 2@20, 8@10 kinda thing. I would have oodles of back gas to safely get up if my deco set-up failed.

On more serious hangs... say 30 minutes or more, I would typically be using two deco bottles. As was pointed out, you could easily swap regs on your stages if necessary. (This isn't really an "emergency" considering you have lots of "something" to breath...) so swapping shouldn't be an issue.

In either case, I would still have gallons of back gas to run a full set of stops...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom